Predator won't start after head rebuild!

Now I just torn down the head of my predator motor (Which I hate!!). Because it wasn't running correctly it would idle then dye after it was give more gas with the choke open and the engine hot. The motor has been sitting for a while and I started it and let it idle every now and again.

So now I'm used to Briggs motors and I had found out that with the Briggs taking the head off and cleaning all the carbon build up on the piston head and block head helped a lot when there were problems with it running. So I take the head off of my predator and find a bunch of carbon build up thinking that I had found the problem scrubbed all the crap off. Now I probably made the terrible mistake of using a little water to clean off the carbon ( and that perfect angle of the predator motor made sure that all the water ran directly down in the push rods and on the cam contaminating it's oil!! I'll have to change the oil now). But after it was cleaned I put the head on and the carb and the least amount of parts necessary for it to run and see if it will start. And it Won't!! The pull start kidda jerks and it seem as if theres water in the engine which there isn't I checked!! Like I'll pull the cord and it will go through exhaust, intake, and on compression it will not want to rotate any longer and its' super hard to pull it!! and then I manage to pull it through but it continues to do this! and there isn't a nut stuck in the engine because with the spark plug removed it rotates just fine!!

Any suggestions on what is wrong and how to fix it????

Yes the valve cover was off. Is that the reason why it won't rotate?? Well I'll put it on tonight! And thanks Prowler08 I was clueless and how to adjust the valves!

Start with basics...are the valves moving? If so..then set the lash to .002 on intake and .003 on exhaust. If not...check to see if the push rods are in place.

Start with basics...are the valves moving? If so..then set the lash to .002 on intake and .003 on exhaust. If not...check to see if the push rods are in place.
Yea that's what I meant you cant see whats wrong with your valve train unless the valve cover is off. Sometimes the pushrods fall out of place or the valves need adjustment. I pull mine a few times with the valve cover off then check if everything is still good .

Yea that's what I meant you cant see whats wrong with your valve train unless the valve cover is off. Sometimes the pushrods fall out of place or the valves need adjustment. I pull mine a few times with the valve cover off then check if everything is still good .
Thats always sound advice and a smart thing to do :thumbsup:

Ok Ok!!! Guys!! Thanks so much for the help and yes I know I sounded pretty stupid saying " what the motor won't run with the valve cover off"! Durrrr!! of course it will!! Sorry stupid me! So yes I adjusted the valves CORRECTLY which they weren't, and I put the carb on again and it sputtered to life on the first pull!! But then It died a little bit afterwards so I shot a little fuel in the carb and it ran with the choke open!! It was I blast I ran it without the valve cover and the exhaust manifold and nice big blue flames were coming out of the exhaust valve and it was really loud without that muffler and I went out for a spin! Yes the neighbor's love me!!! And the motor ran pretty good! But there is still something wrong with the axles or something it was lagging alot and the front tire was making noise it's probably low! Needs some more maintenance!

So thanks guys for the help!!! I appreciate it!!

Ok Ok!!! Guys!! Thanks so much for the help and yes I know I sounded pretty stupid saying " what the motor won't run with the valve cover off"! Durrrr!! of course it will!! Sorry stupid me! So yes I adjusted the valves CORRECTLY which they weren't, and I put the carb on again and it sputtered to life on the first pull!! But then It died a little bit afterwards so I shot a little fuel in the carb and it ran with the choke open!! It was I blast I ran it without the valve cover and the exhaust manifold and nice big blue flames were coming out of the exhaust valve and it was really loud without that muffler and I went out for a spin! Yes the neighbor's love me!!! And the motor ran pretty good! But there is still something wrong with the axles or something it was lagging alot and the front tire was making noise it's probably low! Needs some more maintenance!

So thanks guys for the help!!! I appreciate it!!
Your doing things that are going to catch up with you in hurry.
Fix it all before you ride it, at least the obvious stuff.

Running without a valve cover?
Why would you do this?
Its 4 bolts and under a minute to install....

Well it wasn't a big deal it just shot oil everywhere!! And in reality it isn't like it needs it to run! I thought you were going to say something about the low front tire! that's a problem!! But no you are right It needs maintenance ! And I will do that before I go riding again!

Well it wasn't a big deal it just shot oil everywhere!! And in reality it isn't like it needs it to run! I thought you were going to say something about the low front tire! that's a problem!! But no you are right It needs maintenance ! And I will do that before I go riding again!
Sometimes you get excited and we all do get that need to try it right now....

But when everything is done and done right you really get to savour that first ride.

toomanytoys

I've been the Super excited have to try it right away.

Make sure everything is good and safe before you try to take it again. These little bikes can hurt you badly.

I've told this story before. Back when I put my super bronc together I was all excited it fired up and I went for a ride. Well I forgot to tighten the seat bolts. Seat slide off. I fell off and my bike ran into the side of the garage. I didn't really get hurt but my bike needed more work. Scratching my new paint job denting my shroud....I was upset but it was my fault

Last edited:
I've been the Super excited have to try it right away.
My son just did that about 30 minutes ago. He's been putting his engine back together for a few weeks during his off time.

He started rushing yesterday, with me (working on bikes) telling him to slow down. (forgot several boost, vacuum and oil hoses, and installed the timing 180 out)

He rushes out this morning, adjusts timing, dumps a bunch of expensive oil in it, car starts, rattles like hell, and blew the quickly installed oil filter off the side of the block, with 5 quarts of royal purple all over my garage floor.

I told him to pick up another bag of kitty litter while he was at the autoparts store.

Havasu Dave- Well car engines are very very very different much more complex and run at much higher speed with much higher tolerances a completely different animal! And you should have your son pay for all the new oil and parts to teach him to be responsible! Geez messing up a car engine is not funny business!

And thanks Cheezy1- For the more in-depth information because that's why I didn't put that valve cover on! because I knew that further adjustment was necessary! Hey they do it with cars! And any motorcycle before 1920 had a exposed valve assembly!

And for the record I wasn't rushing! But thanks for the concern!