Predators on sale Jan and 2.

Brooklyn Bob

I have predators on 2 of my bikes. Never had a problem. I've taken them on the Tristate minibike ride plenty of times. It's 23 mile ride down blacktop roads.

I've never had any experience with this motor. Seems awfully cheap. Can anybody speak to the quality of this thing?
These engines get a five-star customer feedback rating on the HF website. They're quite popular. The coupon lists four item numbers, two that are Calif. only, and two 49-state versions. I looked up the specs for the two 49-state versions on HF, 60363 and 69730, and they appear identical. Does anyone know if there's any difference?

I've never had one, but might get one this time. Don't they require an engine plate adaptor?

We have had a few of them. They have lots of torque and are a fantastic VALUE- a brand new 6.5 HP engine for a $ 100.00!? Sometimes you will get a "dud" when you buy one. If they are (we had a couple) we do not screw around trying to fix it. Just take it back and exchange it for another one- never any questions asked. No "engine adaptor plate" needed.
Michael

Got my coupon too...gonna grab one to put on the shelf.. and yes, they are pretty great for the $$$ Ive had a couple and they start first pull and pull like... well you know.... :wink:

The OldMiniBikes Warehouse Predator page shows that these engines can come w/hemi and non-hemi cylinder heads. Is this what the different HF item #s are all about? Are these OHC or pushrod engines? The Honda GC160 motor on my pressure washer has the head in unit w/the cylinder (no head gasket), and the crank case splits diagonally to give access to the vales and seats from below. It has an OHC, w/belt drive to the cam. The 100cc motor in my Honda EU20001 generator is built the same way. Are these motors constructed like that?

https://www.OldMiniBikes.com/Performance-Engine-Parts/Predator-212cc-Racing-Parts

These motors are great. I keep at least 4 on the shelf at all times. Better stock up. When Trump gets in either the prices will skyrocket or it will be the end of Harbor Freight. I'm ok with that... For the better good and all...lol

Harquebus

A little poking around OldMiniBikes cleared that up for me.

#60363 Predator 212cc Engine Hemi

#69730 Predator 212cc Engine Non-Hemi
They are pushrod engines, nothing new about them and just the fact that it's an overhead valve engine design pretty much means it's a hemi. The non-hemi's still have an "cup" shaped combustion chamber. Are they semi-hemis? I don't know...

My Saab 900 is also a hemi but no special mention was ever made of this for marketing purposes. :shrug:

They are pushrod engines, nothing new about them and just the fact that it's an overhead valve engine design pretty much means it's a hemi. The non-hemi's still have an "cup" shaped combustion chamber. Are they semi-hemis? I don't know...

My Saab 900 is also a hemi but no special mention was ever made of this for marketing purposes. :shrug:
Overhead valve does not automatically = hemi. In a two-valve engine, a hemispherical combustion chamber with canted valve stems allows for larger valve heads than does a design where the valve stems are parallel. I dunno if that makes any measurable diff here, but there are two different 212cc Predator engines, and in the posts that I've looked at, people seem to favor the hemi engine (HF item #60363) over the other design (HF item #69730).

But...the OldMiniBikes throttle linkage kit listing for these engines states specifically that it will not work with the hemi engine because of the different shape of the valve cover. This has probably also been addressed in other threads, too. Just food for thought when you go shopping.

https://www.OldMiniBikes.com/Honda-Clone-Throttle-Kit.html?category_id=955

Overhead valve does not automatically = hemi. In a two-valve engine, a hemispherical combustion chamber with canted valve stems allows for larger valve heads than does a design where the valve stems are parallel. I dunno if that makes any measurable diff here, but there are two different 212cc Predator engines, and in the posts that I've looked at, people seem to favor the hemi engine (HF item #60363) over the other design (HF item #69730).

But...the OldMiniBikes throttle linkage kit listing for these engines states specifically that it will not work with the hemi engine because of the different shape of the valve cover. This has probably also been addressed in other threads, too. Just food for thought when you go shopping.

https://www.OldMiniBikes.com/Honda-Clone-Throttle-Kit.html?category_id=955
Tom go with the 60363 Hemi version. Its more than enough right out of the box. It has a flat top piston and offers better valve size choices if you want to hop it up a little or a lot. I have 4 Hemi's and truly like them a lot. The Kart racers bicker over the hemi head verses the rt8 (iirc) head as to which makes the better race head after hours of port work and monster sized valves. They are dead nut reliable and typically start on the first pull. Just pay attention to the parts as the rods and flywheel are different between the 2.

If you want to read up on a Hemi OND did a build of one here on OldMiniBikes. Its a good read with lots of good info.

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/honda-clone-predator/102074-hemi-head-predator-build-60363-a.html

I think you are misinformed as to Hemi verses standard head design. A true "Hemi" combustion chamber has the valves angled away from one another which makes the valve faces angled to one another allowing room for larger diameter valves. This makes the combustion chamber tend to be round or more rounded. Thus the reference to hemispherical. Boss 429 Fords and Chryslers 426 Hemi's had true hemispherical combustion chambers. Yet Chryslers 426 Wedge was an inline valve engine. All overhead valve engines are just that OHV engines. They build the valve train inline because of production efficiency not because it is better... To improve air flow the Big Block Chevrolet and the Boss 302 and Boss 351 Ford got canted valves. They leaned the intake valve towards the intake port and the exhaust valve towards the exhaust port in an effort to improve air flow and to increase valve size. And then there is the Pentroof with 4 valves per cylinder....... These are typically overhead valve design but some are pushrod design.

So just because it has pushrods does not "pretty much mean its a Hemi". All it means is that it is an OHV engine.

A Hemi engine typically has a larger combustion chamber with larger valves and a flat top piston to obtain the proper compression ratio. A quench or wedge head usually has a smaller chamber with smaller valves than a Hemi and requires a dished piston to obtain the proper compression ratio.

FOMOGO, I will excuse the inclusion of the 426 in a conversation about Chinese Lawn Mower Motors. :laugh: In the September Hot Rod magazine, Connie Kalitta bashes the 429's combustion chamber for nitro, called it an "F-ing Disaster." Just saying.... :001_tt2:

These motors are great. I keep at least 4 on the shelf at all times. Better stock up. When Trump gets in either the prices will skyrocket or it will be the end of Harbor Freight. I'm ok with that... For the better good and all...lol
or maybe they,ll start selling more american made products instead of chinees garbage