problem with gokart steering need some help

I'm in the middle of finishing steering on my go kart when I noticed how when I turned the Steering wheel, the outside wheel when turning left or right would turn more than the inner wheel, I'm not sure how to fix it can I have some help

Have you taken measurements between tire both full right and full left to make sure no optical illusion? Also spindle angle can affect turning The left sleeve being bent can be a concern but my guess is spindles are at an angle

thats normal. if it works and feels fine driving it leave it alone. People will say you dont have proper ackerman built in but that will only make it worse.

scootercat

They look like front steer spindles,Yours is set up as rear steer....And the pivot point of the A arm and the steering shaft pivot point of the tie rod swing in different arcs of motion and that will give You "Bump steer"....

Last edited:
you have suspension. steering geometry just went complex

if it steers ok, leave it like jeep says. if not, you do need to do some ackermann steering fixing

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
My bet is, nothing is wrong with it.

See this all the time with snowmobile steering.

It is also the same with Auto steering, we just don't get to see it due to fenders.

JK above is correct. Ackermann is important. Without Ackermann, it will push out when trying to turn. ALL new vehicles from ALL auto manufactures have ackermann. If they didn't their vehicles would eat tires and turn like crap.

Scootercat is also right in that your spindles are setup for front steer. Rear steer, like yours, should have the tie rod to spindle bracket at an angle approx equal to the center of the rear axle.

thats normal. if it works and feels fine driving it leave it alone. People will say you dont have proper ackerman built in but that will only make it worse.
How will it make it worse? My Yamaha Raptor has ackermann. It handles fine.

My Yamaha Moto4 has ackermann.

My Suzuki LT80 has ackermann.

My Simplicity riding lawnmower has ackermann.

Ackermann applies across the board.

BTW, Ackermann is a good thing.

How will it make it worse? My Yamaha Raptor has ackermann. It handles fine.

My Yamaha Moto4 has ackermann.

My Suzuki LT80 has ackermann.

My Simplicity riding lawnmower has ackermann.

Ackermann applies across the board.

BTW, Ackermann is a good thing.

i think he maybe talking about the struggle that can be trying to get the ackermann correct, you can end up making things worse than having zero ackermann angle built in (which is better than reverse ackermann, which is what makes most karts handle so poorly) but its actually fairly easy to mess up the ackermann trying to fix it. its fairly straightforward with flat karts but getting into suspension gets into like i said bump steer and other problems that only add to it

right now with his front steer knuckles on backwards he will have zero ackermann which on a kart isnt as noticeable as you would think, its still much better than stock reverse ackermann on most flat karts

but yes, you should draw a line from your kingpin to the center of your rear axle. your steering ends should be somewhere on that line for correct ackermann

Yes I know ackerman is a good thing. What I mean by making his problem worse is I am saying it will make his wheels have even worse alignment than they are. If he wanted them to run the same angle on turns.
Ackerman compensates for the turning circle of the kart. the inside wheel has to turn farther to go around the same turning circle as the outside wheel.