Quest for speed

I'm going to start this now so I can let others follow and so I can look back at where I started.

Stock 212 predator, with zip tie for couple more rpms
60t rear, 17t front, 4.10/3.50-5 tires.

Top speed 49mph

Attachments

capguncowboy

If you're going to go faster, you might want to find some better tires. Unless those are speed rated, I would start looking

Aside from that, I'm impressed. 50 MPH is quick for a mini bike

You'd have to be turning almost 5000rpm to get 50 mph with that gearing and 12" tall tires. Just putting a zip-tie on the spring gave you that much RPM?

I don't have a way to check what rpm I'm running. I just put it in there with a little end play and went for it. It doesn't sound like its over revving so I left it as is. I know these flywheels can come apart as to why I didn't just remove the gov. What rpms will these engines turn/are the flywheels coming apart at?

As for the tires, what speed would you consider these are rated for? 50mph really isn't that fast. This is just the starting point.

Last edited:
Anything above governed RPM is a risk. Especially with the harmonics in a Predator. You don't think 50 is fast on those tires? I hope they are at least 4 ply...

Sent from my Texas Instruments Speak and Spell...[emoji2]

You don't think 50 is fast on those tires?

Sent from my Texas Instruments Speak and Spell...[emoji2]
Personally I don't, but I'm far from an expert at tire technology. They are 4ply whatever that means.

Thanks for the info on the flywheel. I thought they were coming apart at 7k or something.

Nice clean look to your mini, and wow a stocker going 49! When I first saw the speedo Apps I wondered (since I'm getting old) about accuracy but GPS' are right on the money with a car's speedo, or more accurate in some cases so the phone deals must be too?. Geez, and LONG ago I thought I was high tech with a great big Vericom performance computer "somewhat conspicuously" suctioned cupped to the front window. Those should have come with a pre-written speeding ticket in the box :doah: Looks like I gotta hit the App store.

The road I was on has very little traffic as they built a large 4 lane highway that runs perpendicular. Now this is just an access road for a few homes. I would say it hit max speed within 1/4 mile.

As for the GPS. They vary but mine is usually accurate +- 5meters. When driving in my car that has a digital speedo it is right on the money with my cars speedo. However it has a slight lag under acceleration due to the 5 meter accuracy. When doing a top speed run I hold my top speed for a good 5-10 seconds to ensure the GPS has had time to catch up and level off.

Speed parts added. 22t sprocket on the clutch, exhaust, filter, emulsion tube, 37 jet.
Just for looks. Different tank.
New top speed for now, 62mph

Unfortunately, the bike seems to have plenty of power on throttle. I cannot get the bike to idle at all with any combination of parts between stock or aftermarket emulsion tube. Or any combination of jets with either emulsion tube. I have the stock jet and 36, 37 jet. Looks like its time to upgrade to the 22mm Mikuni carb. I won't really have a way to regulate my rpms with it though.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
It definitely slowed the acceleration down over the 12t. Just going by the seat of my pants feel cause my gps app is in my pocket. The clutch doesn't feel fully engaged till close to 30. On the other hand. My friend had his 125cc Z50 out there with me. I was pulling on him the whole time. He's got some weight on me too though. Best i could do on his the way its geared is 52mph. By all means the way it's set up its far from a drag bike. But it has a decent top speed for just a few parts. Also I'm just guessing going off of a speed calculator, my gov is still holding my rpms in the 4800-5000 rpm range. Once I upgrade the flywheel and internals ill be able to gear back down if I need to to gain that acceleration back. Just time and money. Ill be upgrading soon though.

not trying to be stupid but you bought a air filter , jet kit and a header and you are doing 62 on 5" wheels :rolleyes: oh yeah and a zip tie :laugh::thumbsup: you should need a new clutch after about one more ride with that gearing

Cool build man how..... much do you weigh? Im guessing light to be moving on that gear ratio

Flywheel is just Plastic. be careful
Flywheel is cast steel, the fan on the flywheel is plastic. But you are correct. This is about the best I think it will do until I upgrade the flywheel, and rod for safety. Unfortunately ill be upgrading a lot of parts by the next time I take it out. I don't want to be tearing the engine apart multiple times just to see what it can do on billet rotating parts.