question about cjtmini kits and Chain

i know the Kit is supposed to come with everything you need, but do i have to remove any links from my chain? i dont have a chain cutter , just wondered if i will be able to my current DB chain without modifying it. Thanks for the help

i know the Kit is supposed to come with everything you need, but do i have to remove any links from my chain? i dont have a chain cutter , just wondered if i will be able to my current DB chain without modifying it. Thanks for the help
You will have to remove about seven links.

Jay2

The kits come with everything you need. There are 2 parts you will take from your 2.8 HP engine and use on your 6.5 Clone.

The instructions are very good, and the quality of this kit is just outstanding. My son and I just finished swapping out the 2.8 engine and also hooking up the throttle assembly, using just basic tools.

He includes a great CD with pictures / instructions, including how to take the extra links out of the chain, which I was not sure about before seeing the instructions. Followed the instructions and it was no problem.

I hope this helps - and I would highly recommend purchasing the kit.

The kits come with everything you need. There are 2 parts you will take from your 2.8 HP engine and use on your 6.5 Clone.

The instructions are very good, and the quality of this kit is just outstanding. My son and I just finished swapping out the 2.8 engine and also hooking up the throttle assembly, using just basic tools.

He includes a great CD with pictures / instructions, including how to take the extra links out of the chain, which I was not sure about before seeing the instructions. Followed the instructions and it was no problem.

I hope this helps - and I would highly recommend purchasing the kit.
what did you do about the chain on your DB? did you have to buy a chain breaker? or do the instructions give you another method to shortening the chain?

what did you do about the chain on your DB? did you have to buy a chain breaker? or do the instructions give you another method to shortening the chain?
the method/ tip included was to drive the pin through with a punch. If had to do it over would get the chain breaker. The reason is when you the punch the pin it can mushroom and not want to come out. Yea I fought with it for a bit and another couple of whacks and the chain would have been toast. I ended up smoothing down the pin with a dremel (a grinder or file should be okay) and after that it punched through with little effort.

The one other hang up (watch out for) is when setting the engine. When I had the plate attached to the motor with the bolts facing down and was seating it on the engine mount I must have nicked one of the bolts just a hair. This caused the bolt to turn when I tried to tighten it with a nut from the bottom. So what should have been a quick one hand tighten turned into having to hold the bolt secure with the needle nose in one hand while turning the nut in the other. sounds like complaining but am a young guy with bad joints. Overall glad we got it.

cool thanks olajoe, that helps me a lot. hope to be buying a kit here in the near future, i think im also going to ahead and buy a chain breaker to make sure i get it done right.

definitely get a chain breaker. they make adding/removing links much easier.

get this style, BMIkarts.com has them for $13. be sure to get one for whatever size chain you're running.

cool thanks olajoe, that helps me a lot. hope to be buying a kit here in the near future, i think im also going to ahead and buy a chain breaker to make sure i get it done right.
Now here's a question for you. What is the bore size (the center hole) in the rear sprocket of a stock doodle bug 30. The stock sprocket has 70teeth.

Thanks olajoe for the + comments about the kit. It's great to hear the kits hooked up easy......that's the idea. I'm gald the instruction CD worked out

a few people who bought the kit struggled with the chain. grinding the head off a link pin is the easiest way to knock the pin out and shorten the chain (besides a chain breaker)

a few people who bought the kit struggled with the chain. grinding the head off a link pin is the easiest way to knock the pin out and shorten the chain (besides a chain breaker)
charge an extra $20 and include a chain tool. at least that way they won't possibly be hahahahaing up their stock chain. :thefinger: