Question about Tecumseh and Briggs

Zach

I was wondering if I could use a 5 HP tecumseh carbuerator on my 5HP Briggs and Stratton? The mounting plates are exactly the same. The only difference is my Briggs has a choke, and the tecumseh doesn't. Also the tecumseh has a prime button. Is this direct bolt on without much of any mods??

Last edited:

Zach

Also the tecumseh has two fuel inlets??? One that comes to the top of the carb by the prime button. (i was gonna plug this). And the other is the normal that goes to the carb bowl.

Last edited:

Zach

hahahah you think it will work? I think my carb is nearing it's end. I rebuilt it and the engine wont run for more than 15 minutes. Also I have to run it with the Choke all the way closed the whole time, if i try to open it It kills it instantly and will only restart after you shut the choke. Is this a vacuum leak or lack of gas??

Zach,

I have no clue. The experts are probably reading this thread thinking: "Let Parl have some fun with him and then we will tell Zach how rediculous he is being".
Let me ask you this Zach. Would you put a Ford Carb on Chevy engine? i am a Tecumesh man and if you showed me a Briggs part I would think it was from a sewing machine or something.

Zach

with the right mod you could. different mounting plates etc. But it mounts exactly the same. I asking about the differences with it. :thumbsup: :hack: :scooter:

Zach

anyone?? No choke so the air cleaner is always open. Will this work? Does have a acclerator with throttle plates though. Will it give me enough gas or not enough, since it a 5 HP it should be the same???

I would try it! Is the tecumseh adjustable? i had the same problem with my briggs carb. wierd huh :eek:ut: I tried this with a kohler carb ( carter model N) and it brought the beast alive! oh yah remember you might need to get rid of your governor. if you do spend 20 dollars on a briggs polished rod. they are a little better quality then the stock ones and will last at higher rpms. In conclusion: if it works why not?!

Last edited:

Zach

this is the carb I have though. I don't wanna get another if this one could possibly work. Is the extra hose for where it needs to connect to the OHV>??

no connect the one from the carb to the fuel tank. the one that comes out of the ohv should go to your airfilter assembly somehow.

Zach

Is this right???

I was thinking the green goes to the fuel tank. And the yellow goes to the ohv?? I was thinking this was the way to set it up but didn't know wether I needed to plug the yellow off or to hook it to the OHV. :scooter:

Motra

The fitting on the top is not a fuel fitting, it's for the crankcase vent system. The primer replaces the choke, it serves the same purpose (cold start enrichment). You'd probably have far fewer hassles if you stick with the correct carburetor for the engine.

Zach

The fitting on the top is not a fuel fitting, it's for the crankcase vent system. The primer replaces the choke, it serves the same purpose (cold start enrichment). You'd probably have far fewer hassles if you stick with the correct carburetor for the engine.

thats what i said. so I just leave the CVS^ unplugged than?

Hi, If you are going to change your carb. out. Wye don,t you just buy a copy of 20mm Keihen carb. from dratv.com for about 25.00 and build your own intake manifold for your engine. It would be a better choice and give more power than messing around Tecumseh carb. I have one on my Trail 70 and jets are easy available for it and it works fine. I am going to put on on my briggs 5 horse soon.

I doubt you Tecumseh carb has adjustments (like flat head tec's) so I wouldn't bother. You'd have to be lucking if it ran "good" without adjusting.

Zach

Thanks everyone for your replies. Im trying it out and seeing anyway if it won't work. It already runs like crap and is undrivable. I've got the carb off and was gonna try and see. I'll let you know. :thumbsup: