QUESTIONS..from a new guy

Uh..Hello..Im new to these Old school mini bikes..I am moving on from my highly modded bladez XL COMP gas scooter to OLd school mini bikes
I am looking to buy one..thats fast! like I want one that goes 40mph!is that possible..:smile:
and..When i get my mini bike..I think the one i *MIGHT* be getting will have a 6.5hp honda engine on it......I will have a 100 dollars more after I MAYBE buy it..is there any parts i can get that can get me going faster for my money without loosing tons of acceleration???
what speeds will that engine get me? i weigh 125.. and..I will be using this minibike for Big bear..climing mild hills and for my neighbor hood in garden grove for going FAST!40MPH....
Like i said..If you have any good feedback..it would be great and if you have
a FAST minibike for sale that goes 40mph.:scooter:..I would LOVE to consider it...i cant pay more than 300..thanks.
Zach

Jleon

I'm somewhat new to this forem myself, but from what I've gathered, 40MPH is nothing and the $300.00, Think a little higher.

thankgodd

You dont know how good it makes me feel..that 40mph is nothing..
so..does that mean it can hit it..just with the engine like that..or...it with the hundred dollars i have for performance parts..?

picture

With a little bigger carb jet and a header, the right tire diameter and rear sprocket, 40 should be no problem.

well heres a picture..
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x7/zspence1/minibike1.jpg
and Heard a header makes it alot louder..and i dont want louder..
how much are those parts going to cost me and where do i get them?also and..i know the stock airfilter looks like a mess:doah: but im going to put a uni airfilter on it..:smile:But ya parts?where how much?
and the bike is costing me like 200..so.il have 100 left

Have you rode it yet? It already has a header and slicks and a wheelie bar. You'd better jump on it for $200. It may not need a thing to do 40mph or better.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Hey that's a Joe's minibike frame with the wheelie bars on it. You should be able to do 40mph easy. Just put on a 40 tooh rear sprocket with a 12 tooth front clutch.

You should still take off pretty well, because your only 125 lbs.

I don't know if that's a 5.5hp, or 6.5hp motor?

I think most people over estimate how quick there bikes go, mainly because you are so close to the ground it makes you feel like your going extremely quick. My bike can just get to 45mph on level ground and that is with a torque converter. I just bought a speedo. It has great acceleration but with a clutch it would be a dogg off the line. So my opinion is you would need a few mods to get you to 40mph while maintaining good acceleration. Probably a header and a little carb work would get you there. But thats my opinion. 6.5hp might just be enough. but it would be worthwhile getting a header with that spare $100

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Steady what kind of gearing are you running? And what's your load?

I have calculated the gearing he needs. 12/40 and turn the motor 4,000 RPM and he will hit 40mph. That's with a 5" rim and 12x4.10x5 rear slick.

If you are running 12/60 gearing you would have to turn at least 5,900 RPM.

I see light weight kids with that exact minibike every weekend. And they run over 40mph ungoverned with a muffler, but they have 6.5hp.

I run 18/60 but i have a torque converter which reduces the ratio by 1.15 when in the lowest ratio and reduces the ratio by 3 when in highest ratio position. I weigh about 145lbs. I would have thought with a centrifugal clutch, it would be very slow off the line because on my bike once you start getting to 40mph it really doesnt like going much faster. This is a gx200 with 22mm carb, gx160head, advanced timing and 1.2:1 ratio rockers. Maybe my engine just isn't as powerfull as it should be?

...info.help..info

well its a 6.5 honda..not a clone..and..
.it aleady has a header jim?..how would you know that?..i know its got a pretty sweet lil pipe on there..but where doyou tell it has a header? And the guy who is selling it is brian..I havent ridden it yet though..but im using it up for bigbear climbing mild hillz.and to ride around my neighbor hood in garden grove.so..a huge sprocket..And a really loud loud mini bike..isnt for me..
I need good acceleration and a 40+mph speed...
and how much is a header if i dont have one already?Where do i get it?
and..IS IT LOUD?..thanks guys..you guys are a HUGE help!:drool::smile:

40 years ago I got 40 mph out of a stock cast-iron block 5 hp Clinton. It was ungoverned and when I think back I am amazed the piston didn't pop out of the top. I got a more speed, but I lost some power when I would swap the Clinton out for a 2 stroke I had. I just depended on if I was going to ride the asphalt bike path or the sand on which motor I would use. By the way, I was using nothing more than a centrifical clutch.

so..header..not good..
and ....im going to be riding the neighborhoods..in garden grove CA..flat ground..but..I do have a house in bigbear..so i would like to take it up there..and scream up the hillz..

...well loud..is..nice..and very VERY true it does save lives..so cars can here you
...but is there such thing as a silencer..that is an easy installation?
and also whats a torque converter..and what does it do?..iincreases what?
thanks,
Zach