Re-Powered Power Wheels

Going to start a dumb, "see if I can do it" type project. Going to shove a chain saw engine into this (see pic). My son has outgrown it, and the battery powered motor is junk. Let you know how it goes. Anyone have any experience with chain saw engine's? Comments, concerns etc. are welcome. :grind:

Last edited:
sounds like it would be really cool and will work i think :p good luck with it and if it dont work than wait till your sons gone before :censure: jokes ;) :thefinger:

just stick a car battery on it somewhere. Iv done it it works great. Iv tried to build things with chainsaw engines without success. To get the power wheels working with one would be quite a progect. i guess if your kid doesnt weigh much it may work. Your going to have to build like a whole rear portion of the bike for the engine and axle and somehow atatch it to the rest of the bike. You just gave me a cool idea. Build like a gocart but todler size with like a 2hp engine. Thad be cool

Smallbore

Going to start a dumb, "see if I can do it" type project. Going to shove a chain saw engine into this (see pic). Comments, concerns etc. are welcome.
Member Mac use to build them out of old peddle cars using 2-1/2 or 3hp flathead engines. Hopefully he will see your post. Im sure he can give you some imput. :thumbsup:

well, I am going to have my buddy weld a sprocket where the electric motor was and see if i can hook up an old craftsman chansaw engine. I'll cut away at some of the plastic of course and see what happens. I'll post pics when I start it. maybe getting another mini 1st. (that would be 2 in 2 days...) yep, I'm hooked. The plastic on the power wheels is pretty thick. I'm just gonna give it a shot. My son only weighs 33lbs. wish me luck.

also most chainsaws theres noplace to mount them. iv bolted a mount rught where the chain bar bolts and built a support for the handle end. Theres also a big problem with the chain it comes out the front of the engine. youll have to either mount it out back behind the axle or iv actually mounted one on top of the axle and had the chain going down. The way i did it i actually welded a bycycle sprocket from a mountain bike with a bunch of stacked up sprockets fromt he back wheel so i had some options with gearing but also to push the the gear out so i could run the chain back and also adapt to a regular chain rather than the chainsaw chain. it was a pain in the a** and a total cob job. thats probrobly why it didnt work so well. good luck :smile:

Last edited:
also most chainsaws theres noplace to mount them. iv bolted a mount rught where the chain bar bolts and built a support for the handle end. Theres also a big problem with the chain it comes out the front of the engine. youll have to either mount it out back behind the axle or iv actually mounted one on top of the axle and had the chain going down. The way i did it i actually welded a bycycle sprocket from a mountain bike with a bunch of stacked up sprockets fromt he back wheel so i had some options with gearing but also to push the the gear out so i could run the chain back and also adapt to a regular chain rather than the chainsaw chain. it was a pain in the a** and a total cob job. thats probrobly why it didnt work so well. good luck :smile:
thanks for the input. yea, I'm sure Mickey Mouse will be proud of this job. lots of JB weld and ghetto fabulous craftmanship. Will a regular chain fit on the sprocket of the chain saw? and im curious to see what happens to the throttle. should be a good time.

a regular chain wont fit the saw sprocket. The throtle can usually be converted to cable pretty easily. just gain access to the carburator and make a cable mount rather than a throtle lincage