Reason for slanting an engine in a rupp and other bikes?

A question on a Facebook page came up.what are the reasons to slant an engine on a rupp and other bikes. It's more expensive to do this. I suggested torque because that was the information I was given.

Hello Thad,

I believe manufacturers, like Rupp, slanted engines for style and clearance. Some folks say slanted L-Head engines run more efficiently at an angle, like an OHV engine. I have also heard that running the engine at an angle helps eliminate oil starvation during hill climbing. Hopefully others will chip in their thoughts. :001_cool:

Last edited:
Hello Thad,

I believe manufacturers, like Rupp, slanted engines for style and clearance. Some folks say slanted L-Head engines run more efficiently at an angle, like an OHV engine. I have also heard that running the engine at an angle helps eliminate oil starvation during hill climbing. Hopefully others will chip in their thoughts. :001_cool:
I think that the ruppster is on to something in regards to "STYLE". They started to slant-mount these engines about the same time that the off road/motocross bike craze was starting to get going, and they wanted them to simulate the slanted look of the motorcycle engines.
Michael

The jr dragsters do it to level the carb and give the intake a straight shot at the chamber, as well as oil control.
At least that is what they told me lol.