Reasonable paint gun suggestions

buckeye

My daughter loves her Daddy. She and her husband bought me a nice air compressor for my birthday.
I seem to be using a lot of cans of paint and said,self you have a compressor, you need a paint gun.
So, my question is, what is a reasonably priced,say 75 or less, paintgun to do small jobs, like we all do.
Figure I can pay for in in less than a year,in primer and clear.
What ya'll think???

You could probably get away with a small detail gun as long as your not going to paint a semi.just make sure it has two nozzles a larger on for primer.personally i have one that i use just for primer, others just for color and clear.

buckeye

Thanks.
So two seperate. Primer needs a larger nozzle? Right?
I was wondering about using the same gun with paint and clear. Would think you might want one gun designated for clear??
So really I'd need three. Primer, color,and clear.

Color and clear can use the same gun.as long as your not using a real heavy flake.but most guns do have more than one nozzle included.i paint cars so i like to have a few guns around.there are kits that have a full size and a detail gun.i think for what you are going to do, one of those would work.

buckeye

Thanks brotha. Mail should be commin your way too.
Thanks again. Now if my son in law will get those forks lengthened, I'll be in business.

To be technical clear likes a heavier tip than most color. Pearls and metallics like a finer tip. It all depends on preference and what you spray. Im sure some of the old school guys i learned from could lay it down no matter what. I trained at Dupont too and learned more from veteran painters. I still love my old Devilbiss JG502 for urethane primer. Ive had trouble switching over to the HVLP guns with my "heavy" style. Maybe ask Evil Ed? His stuff sure looks good.

Your right minibikin.it really comes down to personal prefrences.by all rights you could use just one gun with 2-3 different tips.

Personally i like the gravity feed, it uses all the paint.the suction ones always leave some paint in the cup.i'm sure you will get alot of different answers on this subject.

I agree that the gravity fed(cup up top) are definitely less waste. My problem is after many years of using a siphon feed i just cant seem to get the balance of a gravity feed.in my hand.
If you have a friend that can let you borrow one to try I'd recommend it. Even if you only spray thinner or reducer through it.

buckeye

I have done some painting with a gun. Fancy smancy paint booth too. Just have no idea. His were verticle feed. Thanks ya'll. Really helps.

Go to your local harbor freight store and get one of their small detail guns for your painting.I use two or three of them for painting my bikes,pedal cars ,andgarden tractors.Being a small gun their is almost no wasted paint.They cost around 10-12 bucks so you can buy several of them.I use them every day and hardly ever use a full size gun.

eastwood is one of the last places i would buy something . not that they have junk but they rape ya on price on everything they sell .
if there is a car paint supply near you go there and see about cheap touch up guns . they may have some there you can look at or give you a better idea what you need .

i did a bicycle frame with a cheap cheap air brush , like $3 from HDC Hobby & Craft Painting Air Brush Kit - Homier this is different then the one i have but close .
nasty thing ya cant get any junkier but it did a good job tho :shrug:
i shot a lacquer based blue with a gold metalic in it and did it look sharp .