Refresh of db30 for my daughters

Johnwesley

I picked up a db30 for my daughter a week ago. Just got to look at it today. Starts up ok, chain is loose and the front fender has been bent. The rear tire is flat and someone stuffed a tube in it. Today I started going over it and tearing it down to see what was needed.

Johnwesley

got it partly tore down

knocked out a few dents and painted chain guard to match engine guard

straightened out fork braces and sanded out the imperfections in the paint. the painted black with protective enamel

love this decal :)

was also able to clean the brake disc and checked and cleaned the clutch. i have a spacer for the steering neck once the paint cures

Last edited:

Johnwesley

Rear tire has a large crack and doesn't hold air. Instead of a tube I'll pick up a new rear. Looking at a k290 made by kenda. What your thoughts on that tire for general use. Grass hard pack and some pavement. Where I leave it's not easy to find mud. It's all hard and rocky, but it's not like they will be out bashing through the mtns.

Johnwesley

Got some work done today. I think the forks turned out nice. The more I fix the more I see that needs attention. I will probably end up tearing it all down and repainting the frame and cleaning up everything. After cleaning the chain it still has tight spots so I ordered a new chain.

I put a spacer in the bottom of the fork and a shim to protect the bearing surface and make the turning smooth as it should reduce friction.

When I took the decals off the chain guard they came off clean so I reused them.

I use this stuff on my sportster exhaust and it works great. I took the muffler off and prepped it for paint, used 3 coats. Then while the wife was out I cured it in three stages.

Johnwesley

Got it all striped down and decided my engine stand would make a good frame holder for painting. Now I can turn it around and get a good solid coat on it. Just one place under the engine I will have to remove it to get.

I love the frame stand! Great idea. I use an old birdcage stand. The kind that a cage hangs from.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Johnwesley

You forgot to strip it down not a great idea going over the cheap paint that came on them.

It's been cleaned and then wire brushed followed up with wet sanding and then degreased. Should hold up fine
If there would have been many places,when I brushed it, that the paint was loose I would have striped from t down then etched and painted

Johnwesley

I love the frame stand! Great idea. I use an old birdcage stand. The kind that a cage hangs from.

That's cool idea. I'm using dupli color inferno metallic. Hope it's a good color, won't really know till it's done.
Looked nice on the cap :)

Got some painting done today. I didn't take pics of all the pieces, but I did the foot pegs, kickstand, and wheel spacers in black. The results turned out better than I expected, 1st time to use basecoat/ clearcoat acrilic.

This is a metallic paint and it shows up well in the sunlight, just not the camera. Once I got the metallic to show the paint looked pink. The pic of the neck is the way the color looks in person, at least on my screen.

The red fender goes up front with the black forks and the black fender goes to the back wheel. Not sure what to do with the wheels if any thing, guess when I get it together I'll decide

Monday I should pic up a MM80. It should be in like new shape. This refurbish is coasting more than I thought. I'll be about $300 into before it's done. Guess I saved about $100 over the coast of a new one plus tax, and this one will look better.

What your thoughts?

That bike is looking great! I think every bike I've built/rebuilt has cost me way more that I thought it would, but I really enjoy tinkering with these things and it's all good. When you're all done with the bike, you will have something to be proud of. Great work!

looks good..nice job..part of the fun is the putting it together..just buy an extra can of paint coz manufacturers change colors alot ...there will be touch ups..

looks good..nice job..part of the fun is the putting it together..just buy an extra can of paint coz manufacturers change colors alot ...there will be touch ups..

Yea that will stink with this two stage paint. The color is Chrysler inferno red metallic, I bought all they had at AutoZone. I'll wait for them to restock. Next one I should just do an engine enamel. That will be easy touch up.

Ok, so I'm not as patient as I should be. I gently put a few parts on the mini today. Just wanting to get a feel for the look. The rearm tre came in and installed easy. Got the engine cleaned up and ready for it to go in, but want the let the paint cure a bit longer.

Comparison of the original color to the new

Gotta have a sticker

Here she is in all her glory