Removing rust/paint off old metal bilco doors

Hi Guys,

What's the best way to remove old paint and rust from old bilco doors?
I have a 120V orbital sander that we tried last year, that didn't work too good. The paint is old and thick... The doors are probably 30 yrs old or so and I want to repaint them this weekend. I'm planning to use Hammerite paint but need to get the old stuff off first.

Thanks again,
Frankster

If they're a nice, big flat surface, I'd sweep along it with a paint stripping wheel & then follow up with a steel wire wheel. After that, clean, maybe a little sanding, prime, paint, coat.

Bilco Door update

Sorry, yea Bilco is a brand name for the type of doors shown in the picture above. Mine are from the 70s I think, they were rusted and had 3-4 coats of paint on them. I ended up using one of those paint removers that attaches to the end of a drill; probably used for old rusted cars...we have allot of those in Michigan!!!!. Its working real good but takes a long time. I'm almost ready to paint, going to do that tomorrow. I couple of guys suggested painting them with truck bed liner via a roller, so I'm going to try that. I'll post some before and after pictures. The truck bed liner paint is made to go on rusted metal and lasts a long time outdoors so it should work good for this application....we will see.

Thanks to all for the great feedback!

Thanks again,
Frankster

Bilco Doors

Any house that has a 'Michigan Basement' ie Furnace, etc. under the house in non-livable space typically uses these. They allow large items (like furnaces, etc.) to be taken to the basement area. Since 'Michigan basements' aren't livable you usually have an access like this from the outside rather than wasting usable inside space to access. You also see these doors on storm shelters.

Looks good Frank. :thumbsup:
Mipowdercoat,
We had a set of those on our house too, also in Michigan. There pretty common around hear in PoHo.