Repainting an engine

For those who will refurbish and repaint engines. How do you guys approach this? Do you actually strip or sandblast(which I do not have access to) the engine or do you just clean it up, sand it down and repaint? Also, what do you guys use for paint on an engine. I would assume with the potential heat it could not just be rattle can paint. Any insights would be great. Thanks.

Duplicolor engine paint rattle can works great.

Prep is up to what you have access too. You can use paint stripper and pressure wash, brake cleaner, bead blast,,,,, but what ever you do, protect the inside of the engine and change oil after (if it's not stripped apart) :thumbsup:

Heres the last two I did, they turned out alright I guess.

Last edited:

MINI-MATIC

Re Painting An Engine

To get a real nice finish,you pretty much have to strip it to bare metal.The paint I use is DUPICOLOR UNIVERSAL WHITE engine enamel.This paint is heat resistant to 500 degrees and is gas proof when totally cured.Watch it though,this paint,when first used will almost always spit garbage from the can and ruin your finish,if you use about a 1/3rd of the can first,it will usually be ok.I dont know why this is,the can was well mixed before I ever attempted to use it.I personally contacted DUPLICOLOR on this issue and they claim to of never had any complaints on it,but yet the people I know who have used this have experienced the same problem.I am including a picture of one of my project motors that I used this paint on.

Last edited:
Yep, works great. I'm in the middle of doing my 2 stroke Clinton engine in Chrysler red engine enamel. Duplicolor makes the best, and has a great finish.

Here's my 4 stroke Clinton with that color:

To get a real nice finish,you pretty much have to strip it to bare metal.The paint I use is DUPICOLOR UNIVERSAL WHITE engine enamel.This paint is heat resistant to 500 degrees and is gas proof when totally cured.Watch it though,this paint,when first used will almost always spit garbage from the can and ruin your finish,if you use about a 1/3rd of the can first,it will usually be ok.I dont know why this is,the can was well mixed before I ever attempted to use it.I personally contacted DUPLICOLOR on this issue and they claim to of never had any complaints on it,but yet the people I know who have used this have experienced the same problem.I am including a picture of one of my project motors that I used this paint on.
Mini....What an absolutely beautiful job!!! I just sat here and looked at your picture for a couple of minutes....Thanks....Ogy.

Can i paint the plastic gas tank on my HS50? How do i go about preping to do that?
I used fusion on one and after a month or so the gas leaching through the plastic tank started bubbling the paint. :doah: I prepped it good too.

You can buy NOS white tanks or paint a steel one.

Beautiful work Gentlemen! But, when re-assembling, how do you keep the paint from peeling under hardware when it bottoms onto sheet metal. I did a very detailed job on a Briggs B to a David Bradley tractor and peeled paint all over the place :sadcrying4: