Repowering a Bearkat Twister

I have a Bearkat I'm trying to get going and I'm rebuilding the original engine but I would like to put something else on it just so I can ride it. Has anyone else put a newer engine on a Twister? Im just wondering if there is something out there newer that would bolt up and be ready with minimum effort. The engine on the Bearkat is a Briggs Model 147402 Type 0661-01 Code 6705161

Thanks

I would look for another running 6-8 hp briggs. Easy to find and not expensive. I tried to put a 10 hp Tecumseh in a bearkat. And it was too wide. Twister's are great bikes good luck !

The Briggs 6hp, 7hp and 8hp all have the same extermal dimentions. All the tin, carb and recoil/fan shroud are interchangeable. Just watch that you get the right shaft, usually 1" diameter, 1/4" key and drilled/threaded for bolt.

Have you got any photos of that cool bike? That is one of the bikes on my son's radar. We have been looking for one for quite awhile.
Michael

Theres a couple pics of the old bear in that thread. I can post more later on. Its definitely a cool bike, my kids love to sit on it in the garage and pretend theyre riding it. It has that rear stand that is incredibly stable. The engine is fighting me every step of the way, I want to use the original engine but it has some rust issues and the flywheel and torque converter are holding on for dear life. I keep having to walk away from it before they get the hammer.