Rick C.- new here

This is a cool site !
My first post....
New guy here. Had a Taco 22 back in the 60's in San Fernando Valley, and wanted another minibike ever since.
About me- I rebuild Vintage Motorcycles ( Mostly Yamaha ) for shows, magazines and museums. So I have an semi good to OK shop that I work from at home.
Retired from truck driving when I turned 50. ( basically got tired of working for someone else. ) went into business for myself and beer money.
Been in Santa Clarita Valley Calif for 20+ years. (For the back East folk...think Magic Mountain in Ca area.)

OK here goes. My buddy gave me a Maverick frame the other night because I wanted to build a minibike to putt around the pits and basically annoy the neighbors with something other than motorcycles. I think it's a Maverick II but I need to do some more looking around this forum .
Have a Briggs and Stratton engine of an old air compressor that should do the trick and it runs. It's gonna need a clutch for this real quick. So If anyone could send me in that direction that would be much appreciated. 2 to 3 HP? ( No markings to identify it at all ) and with a 3/4" shaft.
I will post some pictures soon when I figure that out.

Test picture ....
55083a489ed9706e72e6b21e5daa5bcb.jpg

Oh YES ! Nailed it !

What part of the San Fernando Valley are you from. I spent my formative years first in Sun Valley (50's) and Northridge for my world-shakin days. Did a lot of mini bikin in the Porter Ranch area. When I graduated to dirt bkes I spent pretty much every Sunday at Littlerock out in the Mojave Desert. Great times! Welcome to the insanity.
Fred

I’ve always liked Yamaha motorcycles. The DT’s were indestructible. Also I had a ‘77 RD 400. What a machine. I sold it when the kids were young because I figured I had a better chance of sticking around. I’m fixing up this little beaut now albeit slowly. A new seat cover was the first thing I bought. Yours are an impressive sight. Welcome to this site !! 336657A6-B0DA-4053-9B97-1EBBEC3C9124.jpeg

Whoa. Lots of respond to. But first Thank you all for having me in this Wonderful forum ! Yes, millions of questions .. you know.
Guess I have to pull start this with answers.

Fever- Thanks , tons of other bikes. And for some across the pond too. But wrong forum ?

Hey Brother Super- Born in 59' in Northridge. Those train tracks were the freeway to boogie about. Ticket to everywhere.
My brother took me over the hill to Hopetown Classic every year, way back when I was 6-12. Taco was our bikes.
Hence why I am here. Minibike .
Parthenia and Tampa to Simi Valley . Gas fill up .35 cents. With my paper route baby I had quarters for gas.

Robert- First off , Sir Thank you for having me here ! I just need to find some more time to search and read stuff.
I DID see the banner up top and checked it out after a Duh moment. I have question to ask all.

Grinz- GT 80 yum. and er Wow ! Indestructible bikes, parts can be a challenge to get some stuff. I have some connections.
Very nice bike to have.

Hopefully I got most of you answered I think.
Now, Minibikes...not me. ( unless you wanna see Ryan Reynolds " Cold War " in my driveway. his Honda 750-4.
a thrilling steamin RRenolds cold war.jpg Big woop. ahem)
https://www.hotcars.com/coolest-motorcycles-in-ryan-reynolds-collection/

I still wanna talk minibikes. I have questions.
That is why I am here.
Not some of my loony pictures of the past. But yeah.... I might know how to turn a wrench... was what I was showing.

Last edited:
Now I have had this bike for 3 well now 4 days. Already got stuff on day 2.
Went to my local minibike/ cart place and got a new rear tire, tube and front/rear wheel bearings.
Wanted to get a new front tire/tube combo also but the guy said his card machine wasn't working and cash only sale, I only had so much cash on me, so no new front tire. soon.
Rear wheel done, moving on to the front end, I want to replace the the fork bearings I have just taken out. Tomorrow i guess after storm watch.

Lizardking

Welcome to this treasure trove called oldminibikes.com!

Why not look for a Taco? After all we are in Taco Town California! But I guess you have to start somewhere, especially when it's free!! Usually the bug bites hard and you can't wait to buy another moni bike. At least that's what happened to me!!!!

Enjoy!!

Still on geography, we actually moved to Simi Valley after getting married. It was from there we made our great escape to northeast Washington. Here I feel like I died and gone to heaven. Sitting on your own dock, in front of your own home and looking out over the lake has that effect on a person. Love your bikes and while sitting on the crapper, I wore out the magazine that had the article on the DT-1 when they first came out. I look forward to seeing your many mini builds.

Welcome to the madness Rick, I do like the Hondas! Now watch out for the Rabbit Hole in Car Three...

next thing ya know they will be dumping Go-karts in on top of you Sir!!! @desert rat
Great palace to be here amongst us. The knowledge is mind-boggling! :cool: