Riding for long periods

vwfan79

So I was curious if these engines (212cc predator) are ok to run on long rides, such as an hour or longer, after there have been mods done. I have done the following: header, k&n air filter, jetted the carb, racing spark plug and "trick" valve springs. I plan to put a billet rod and flywheel in so I can run higher RPMs.

rmm727

Going off of what the racing karters do, I would make sure I was jetted rich enough and had good oil in it. I would also probably change the oil right afterwards.

I had a lightly Modded predator on a kart of mine (less r flow for cooling than a mini) and we would run it all night (4-5hrs) at the parking lot races and we would run it hard without shutting it off and it never gave me an issue just keep changing that oil and do plug readings often to make sure you aren't going lean and you should be fine

I had a lightly Modded predator on a kart of mine (less r flow for cooling than a mini) and we would run it all night (4-5hrs) at the parking lot races and we would run it hard without shutting it off and it never gave me an issue just keep changing that oil and do plug readings often to make sure you aren't going lean and you should be fine
I agree!! These engines are made tough and almost bullet proof if u stay below 6000 RPM.

My "mini beast" runs strong, hard, and wants to keep pulling:thumbsup: i have to get off the throttle frequently sometimes:angry:.

Keep in mind what it really is(mower engine), keep a GOOD NAME BRAND OIL, GOOD PETRO, and fresh racing plugs in and u should be GOLDEN:innocent:

So far me and my homie have ridden about 10 times with 30-45 mins each time in the low-mid-high RPM's at long and short times with succesful rides

Last edited:

toomanytoys

Keep in mind what it really is(mower engine),/QUOTE]

If you keep the governor, you can hold 3600 RPM till it runs out of gas IMO. It was designed to hold peak RPM forever basically.

I have my governor tweaked a tiny bit on my Tecumseh HM80 that sits on my Super Bronc. My pocket tach shows 4100 RPM. I've held that thing wide open for a few miles and never had an issue. I'd take that thing out and ride for 3 or 4 hours following ATVs around.

I ran mine for about 3-4 hours yesterday. Didn't stop at all. Had it off roading going through all the trails then back on the road. My buddy had his pocket bike out too so we were doing a lot of racing. No issues at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vwfan79

Thanks, just wanted to make sure. I have a racing plug in now and use Kendall 5w-20 synthetic blend, I will just make sure I do frequant oil changes. I also have a tach coming should be here today so I can set my throttle stop screw to the RPMs I want.

Thanks, just wanted to make sure. I have a racing plug in now and use Kendall 5w-20 synthetic blend, I will just make sure I do frequant oil changes. I also have a tach coming should be here today so I can set my throttle stop screw to the RPMs I want.
NICE:thumbsup: i think i read and heard that synthetic oil isint really good for the internals on our motors?? the few i heard about that had blown, they were using synthetic....so i chose not to:eek:ut:

also,where did u get your tach from, i need one now

Over the years I've been playing with small 4-stroke engines I learned these facts:
1. Change the oil often.I change the oil in my engines after every 15 hours of running. I run my engines hard and in a hot,dusty climate. Use a quality oil. Oil's that fight the build up of sludge are the best.
2. Keep the air filter clean. Running it after it has turned color and is clogged will cause the engine to run too rich and will not idle well. Foam filters can be cleaned. I just do it when I change the engines oil.
3. As stated by several others, check your spark plug electrode color. This will tell you how your engine is running.
4. Install a fuel filter. There are many small holes in the carb that can become clogged. you can get a bag of these disposable filters off of Ebay or OldMiniBikes Warehouse cheap.
5. Use good gas. Keep the inside of the tank clean. Drain it over winter! Do the carb also.
Some folks use Sea Foam as a fuel system additive. It does work.
6. At least once a year check the valve lash ( this will help you determine how you oil is working and see if the burn is too hot/cold of the fuel charge.)
7. Check all bolts and fasteners for proper torque.
How long your engine will last is up to you. If you maintain it and keep it running as designed, it will last for many years. I'm running a B&S engine now that I have had since 1968. All I have done is simple maintenance over the years. I HAD a very nice Tecumseh 2.5 HP engine on my Bird mini bike until I got stupid and tried to hop it up. It HAD been a faithful runner for over 8 years and had pulled me all over Maryland for 12,000 miles before I blew the engine. While this sounds like a lot of miles, it really was not. I lived ten miles from school(s) and my house was next to a very large forest.I rode that mini enough I broke the weld on the steering yoke! wish I had that bike now...:scooter: