rim

delray

hey guys i have a two piece aluminum rim with a bolt on hub for the sprocket. the hub does not look like it was use for a drum brake,just for the sprocket only? wheel is a mag style design. i know i have seen this style before,but can't remember what it came on:doah:

That is an Azusa Hex-Star 5 inch wheel
Steve :scooter:
Actually Steve, the Hex Star is very close, but slightly different. This wheel is the same as a used on the Flea and the Nova minibikes. The Hex Star can be seen on some King O Lawn bikes like the Aggie.

This wheel was also available new through enginepowered on ebay several years ago. I bought a set back then and gave them to my buddy's kid for a wagon the other day. I also have a set of originals to go on my Flea too.

Mac

Actually this is the HexStar rim. Hex meaning six.

There are two styles of mounts for the sprocket as seen above.
I have a hundred of these sprockets if you ever need one:

The Aggie's are a five spoke.
Seen here on the right:

So who is right ? Isn't this fun ? Steve:scooter:
In my picture section is my American Maverick and it has a Hex-Star wheel . It was made in Los Angeles too.

Last edited:
I stand corrected on the KOL wheel being a Hex Star, but still see differences between the Hex Star and the wheel in question...they have what looks like a big rivet on every other spoke as well as a bolt hole on every other spoke...

The wheel

Actually this is the HexStar rim. Hex meaning six.

There are two styles of mounts for the sprocket as seen above.
I have a hundred of these sprockets if you ever need one:

The Aggie's are a five spoke.
Seen here on the right:
Mac: The American Maverick that I have uses a scrub brake and originally came with a scrub and band brake on the clutch. So how much for a rear wheel with the sprocket mount and a 60 tooth # 35 sprocket ????

delray

hey thanks tom and mac and steve:thumbsup:
looks like i had the three top guys on here trying to help id this rim:thumbsup: don't see alot of west coast minibike stuff here in the midwest :doah:
not sure what i will do with it? maybe build a minibike around it:doah:...........:scooter:
the other question about this wheel set up. what kind of brake set up did they use? was there a brake shoe set up in the sprocket hub? or a scrub brake or what????
thanks again.............:scooter:

delray : I would say a scrub brake . You never see a brake drum mounted to the wheel with the bolt heads inside the drum. A drum brake would have the threaded mounts on the back of the drum and the bolts would be from the other side and would sandwich the wheel half's

Mac

The 6" Astro Style rims with sprocket mounts used a drum mounted inside the sprocket,

but all the HexStars I've seen used a scrub brake with that setup, and sometimes an internal drum brake with countersunk screws inserted through the brake side, as seen in my previous pictures here.