RLV Muffler too loud.....

BWL

Honestly I'd chunk the RLV and put the stock muffler back on. Perhaps if you can remove the baffle in the stock muffler that'd give you better performance, but it's still be louder.

If you want the better power from that freer-flowing exhaust, then you have to take the increased noise with it. The stock muffler is restrictive, to both power & noise.

I've stuffed a stainless brillo pad in my rlv it helps take the bite out but it burns up after a few rides. My predator won't even run correctly with the stock exhaust after installing a mod2 cam.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I've stuffed a stainless brillo pad in my rlv it helps take the bite out but it burns up after a few rides. My predator won't even run correctly with the stock exhaust after installing a mod2 cam.

Are you positive you checked the valve lash? You could easily have adjusted it when it was on the compression release.

You also need to jet it up.

Get rid of that RLV silencer(I bet some one on this forum would buy it from you) and get a header pipe that accepts a screw-on "hot dog" muffler. It will quiet down the engine enough to appease your neighbors and it will sound and perform better than the OEM (stock) muffler. When my son and I had our DB30's we did just that on both bikes with the HF 6.5 engines and were very happy with them.
Michael

Get rid of that RLV silencer(I bet some one on this forum would buy it from you) and get a header pipe that accepts a screw-on "hot dog" muffler. It will quiet down the engine enough to appease your neighbors and it will sound and perform better than the OEM (stock) muffler. When my son and I had our DB30's we did just that on both bikes with the HF 6.5 engines and were very happy with them.
Michael
I did this as well, the hot dog muffler does and sound decent on a header pipe. I simply used a 1/2 NPT close nipple from the hardware to adapt my clamp on RLV.

Last edited:
+1 on the hot-dog

When I made my pipe, I added 3/4NPT to the end and picked up a generic B&S replacement muffler from ACE for $5

I think it is quieter than stock with the muffler

After reading these posts I decided to change out the rlv muffler. The briggs muffler is so much quieter just holding it up to the pipe. Should get it all together this week. Hopefully won't annoy all the neighbors anymore.

I've used both. I prefer the RLV, but my neighbors are cool. Hell, I even have a few cops for neighbors, and they just drive by and wave while on duty! If you have anyone in the hood with a Harley, the RLV probalby isn't any louder than that. Unfortunately, the Harley is street legal, and the mini isn't. I have a hot dog on one of my minis. The RLV is on my race kart. Hot dog is way quieter than the RLV for sure. If your motor isn't crazy hopped up, it'll flow well enough.

I've used both. I prefer the RLV, but my neighbors are cool. Hell, I even have a few cops for neighbors, and they just drive by and wave while on duty! If you have anyone in the hood with a Harley, the RLV probalby isn't any louder than that. Unfortunately, the Harley is street legal, and the mini isn't. I have a hot dog on one of my minis. The RLV is on my race kart. Hot dog is way quieter than the RLV for sure. If your motor isn't crazy hopped up, it'll flow well enough.

Wow, thanks for the thourough answer! Exactly what i was wondering.

I used 3/4 emt conduit and a pipe fitting and made my own exhausts with a hot dog. it's a nice balance of sound vs performance imo

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk