RobertC's Open Class Flinstone No More !

Hey Folks,

Given I've never completely rebuit a mini bike before, and have 2 mini bikes that I plan to have redone for Windber, it seemed like a great time to enter the OldMiniBikes build off :laugh: !

Seriously though, I figured what better way to learn and experience rebuilding these two bikes than to share it with all you here on the OldMiniBikes. I was going to do project log's anyway, so the build off sounds like a fun place to be.

Here's my first one, my Sensation Mike Bike. I had a blast riding this in the Windber Parade last year, but a couple of those hills on the way back up to the farm had me Flinstone'en (as in pushing).

To counter that, I plan to tear the bike down to the frame, new paint, new 6.5 hp clone, whitewall treatment to my tire's, hopefully finding a compatible 6' front wheel (when i bought it, it has 1 6 inch rupp wheel on back, and a 5 inch hybred on the front (two different halves), and possibly some sort of loud exhaust pipe (if i find one between now and then) and new grips for handlebars and footpegs.

Anyway, it will get me up those last two hills for sure then.

Clay, I hope i got all that's needed in the photo's...when i backed up to show more bike, my sign got blurry...when i got close enough to read the sign, you could not see much mini....thus the multiple photos, so you could see my sign.
And also, I'll go on to say, that I realize I am doing this amongst a bunch of folks who are masters at this...I feel proud and honored to be allowed to join you all, and I look forward to this learning experience.

Thank you,

Robert

Got in just under the wire......good luck Bob.:scooter:
Yes KK, I've been thinking about it since before the buildoff started...wasn't sure I belonged here, because I'm not doing any scratch build, or outrageous custom stuff, but the more I read all the build off posts, I once again realize I have to walk before I can run, and what better place to start.

Thanks,

Robert

Making some progress on the Mike Bike...got to spend some time in the garage with the kids the other night, and we tore the Mike Bike down to the frame...only thing left on there is the left hand grip ! (still got to take off fork, and possibly scrub brake assembly)

I know a lot of you started the buildoff with a pile of parts, some even with just raw materials (have ya seen Tanks steam punk bike ? !:thumbsup:!) anyway, my bike was together, and I plan to re-use most all pieces except a new motor will go on it....so our first step was to tear it down to the frame so we can disassemble it and be ready for the paint stripping process.

My daughter helped with every step, while my 3 year old son stayed busy emptying they tool box :laugh: !

Everybody always say's let's see picture's, so here are some pic's of the tear down.

My daughter trying to remove the master link:

Master link removed...I did it Dad !

Motors off

Ready to take off fork and scrub brake.

Next the real fun starts with the steel brush wheel attachment on my drill :grind: .

Tomorrow we tear down my daughters Arctic Cat trike...and we'll work on stripping the paint from both frames this weekend.

Great to have the kids involved!

Wife won't let the granddaughter in the garage. She says it is too dangerous. :eek:ut:
Thanks Stangrcr1,

I'm glad to have them out there in the garage with me :thumbsup: . We have a good time, and they always want to 'work' on the mini bikes if I ask them :grind: . Lot's of time's they ask me !

They enjoy riding with me on them too :scooter: . I don't know who grins more me, or them :laugh: !

Hey Folks,

Been busy, and haven't posted any progress yet this month. Am getting back on it this week, and will post again later in the week with some progress.

But wanted to let Clay know i want to stay in the build off.

Thank you,

Robert

Hey,

Just a short update on this thread, to say i've made little progress this month :shrug: , but am still building it.

Now if any of this other stuff counted...over the past two weeks. i've got my bird war eagle running better fine tuning it's carb rebuild, and throttle hookup, we've worked on Atlaya's three wheel build, i've replaced the brake spring, throttle hookup, master link, and rebuilt the seat on our little arco, adjusted the valves multiple times on the riding lawn mower, and spent too much time trying to get my super bronc running after installing brake lever, throttle assembly, and linkage, and electronic ignition, then i worked on my cat rat bike till i felt like it combined with the others that i was working toward a dang phd in throttle linkage :laugh: !

Anyway a lot of it's been mini related, and fun, and educational, plus i've snuck in a few mini ride's as well to round things out :scooter: .

So by the end of this month, i hope to have this project closer to done, as we've got a deadline, plus i want it running a good month before Windber to shake out any haha's.

Thanks everyone.

Robert