Rupp with cloan motor torque converter question

I'm looking to temporarily put a 6.5hp Predator motor in my Rupp Roadster. I know the shaft size is different between the HS40 and the Predator so I'm looking to only upgrade the driver unit. Would I be able to get this driver unit and leave the original jackshaft setup the same and will it work?

Go Kart Torque Converter Driver Unit 3 4" Bore Replaces Manco 5957 | eBay

Would this be a good or bad setup? Also, I'm not getting rid of the original motor and hoping this will just be temporary. Thoughts?

Wrong..you can use it. HS-40 is also 3/4. The only difference is the HS-40 shaft is a little bit longer than the 6.5....but still works.

george3

I allways make a spacer to make up the difference in length. That way your washer dosent bend and everything is flush and tight.

jrzmac

I'm looking to temporarily put a 6.5hp Predator motor in my Rupp Roadster. I know the shaft size is different between the HS40 and the Predator so I'm looking to only upgrade the driver unit. Would I be able to get this driver unit and leave the original jackshaft setup the same and will it work?

Go Kart Torque Converter Driver Unit 3 4" Bore Replaces Manco 5957 | eBay

Would this be a good or bad setup? Also, I'm not getting rid of the original motor and hoping this will just be temporary. Thoughts?
the problem is the original set up is 5/8" ... the driver, driven and belt are all 5/8" wide and the comet style driver uses a 3/4" wide belt. I bought the same clutch and tried to use it with the original belt, and also a 3/4" belt. neither worked. you have to shave off 1/8" off of the comet clutch to use the original belt with the older driven. if you have a lathe, you could do it yourself, otherwise you have to have someone do it for you.

the problem is the original set up is 5/8" ... the driver, driven and belt are all 5/8" wide and the comet style driver uses a 3/4" wide belt. I bought the same clutch and tried to use it with the original belt, and also a 3/4" belt. neither worked. you have to shave off 1/8" off of the comet clutch to use the original belt with the older driven. if you have a lathe, you could do it yourself, otherwise you have to have someone do it for you.
Is there any way to pre-determine the need to shave the original driven? Specific measurements? Also, who MFG the Rupp driven? Having similar issues on another related project.

jrzmac

The original driven has Rupp stamped on it, so maybe they manufactured it themselves?? I dont know... someone will chime in who does though!

jrzmac

WOW!!!! A while back I was gonna have another member shave the 1/8" of the clutch, but I got too lazy and never got around mailing it to him:doah: Well, I got kinda sick of just looking at the thing, so I decided to give it one more shot. Holy Smokes the thing is ripping now. For some reason the first time I tried it, it wouldn't work for nothing? :shrug: I tried to use the original Rupp 5/8" belt... no good! So I bought a 3/4" wide belt for it but, that didn't work either!! so I was gonna have someone do the mod for me but I never got it mailed out. Today I figured I'd give it one more shot, I used the original belt first, but that didn't work so hot. So I tried the 3/4" one..... MAN the thing was hauling ass!!!!! It reminds me a lot of my Fox Thunderbolt. It also had the same type of clutch. Original Comet 20. The one I'm using is one of those chinese knock off types. :scooter: Cant wait to get this bike back down the shore, to hit the trails by my moms house!!!! just gonna have to work on the brakes a little bit. the thing had so much power now, it dont wanna stop!!!