Rusty Tank

Project sat outside for approx. 10 years before I got the Pak-Jak, the gas tank is really rusty and gas was not drained so what was in there has become something I dont know how to describe.. I am needing advice on how to clean this mess up. :bowdown:

125ccCrazy

sounds like the gas turned to varnish.... you can soak the tank with brush cleaner to try and disolve the varnish, wash it out with clean water and then get some Por15 Metal Ready, fill the tank with that and let it soak, periodically swishing it around, might take a day or two depending on how badly it's rusted, after the tank looks clean rinse it out with water and blow it out good with an airhose followed with a coating of Por15 Tank Sealer..

I poured some denatured alcohol in the tank and put some loose nuts and bolts and taped the openings and just shook it around for about 5 minutes and after that I haven't had a problem, but I'm sure this won't work as well as 125CCRAZY's suggestions but wanted to post what I did.

Thanks
Nick

I work on alot of project motorcycles with that same problem. The cheapest way out is to get a bottle of The Works lime & rust remover with the blue label, fill the tank 1/2 way up with water add the rust remover & fill the tank all the way up to the filler tube with more water. Let it sit a day, shake it often, pour it out and blast the inside out with a pressure washer. 20 yr old Honda tank sparkled when done. It helps if you have a hose syphoning off the water in the tank while you are blasting it.