Saxonette Exhaust Nut

Can someone confirm for me the right kind of wrench to use with a Saxonette exhaust nut? I'm assuming a hook wrench / or hook spanner is the correct tool.

Before I bid on one, does anyone know for sure? Finding the exact size would be tough. Anyone had good luck with adjustable ones? (again, assuming this is what I need). I've always used a block of hardwood or (gasp) big screwdriver and a hammer (I was 13 at the time) and it just doesn't get it tight enough and eventually destroys the slots.

Yep those are what you need. I have the factory Sachs wrenches and they are nothing more than a rigid piece of like 1/8" flat stock with the hook on the end. One thing about the thin oe ones is that they don't tend to "roll" when cranking down on the nut which does really need to be pretty dam tight.

The only way you will find the rigid one that actually fits right would be to make it-which would be like pretty easy. Personally at least the adjustable one(s) have a broader range incase you encounter something like this again BUT you REALLY need to get the closest one range wise that fit's the nut. TOO big and the hook slips off or just won't fit into the slot. TOO small-same deal. The wrench kinda needs to conform to the OD of the nut and the hook actually needs to "hook" into those slots-maybe a custom made one would be the absolute best. Probably take an hour to make with a jigsaw and a grinder

I had thought about making one but wasn't sure what the original looked like. I might try the adjustable because I have a Honda Trail 70 that could make use of it too on the headstock and handlebar inserts, but an adjustable just sounds like asking for trouble if it won't hug the nut properly. If anyone else here has used one, I'd love to get their input.

If my measurements of the exhaust nut are correct, it's about 43mm OD. Here's a 38-42mm that is cheap and could be ground a bit if necessary. Problem is they don't show much detail on the hook tip.

38 42mm ER 25 Spanner Hook Wrench for ER Chuck Nut | eBay

If not too much trouble, could you post a pic of your original wrench? I've seen most everything Arctic Cat, but never that wrench. The Sachs engine repair manual shows a hook wrench with an adjustable chain strap.

Thanks for the advice!

I bought a used JH Williams 471 Adjustable Hook Wrench with a range of 3/4" to 2". Looks just like the picture I posted earlier - smallest one on the bottom, I think.

It works PERFECTLY for the Sachs nut. No slip. No flex. The hook end fits the slots like a glove. Very sturdy and hopefully will be useful on my Honda Trail 70 too.

Thanks ATKRIDER for the confirmation so I knew I was buying the right one! $12 with shipping, made in USA. What a deal! I can't believe I waited 30 years to get the right wrench for the job. :thumbsup:

I bought a used JH Williams 471 Adjustable Hook Wrench with a range of 3/4" to 2". Looks just like the picture I posted earlier - smallest one on the bottom, I think.

It works PERFECTLY for the Sachs nut. No slip. No flex. The hook end fits the slots like a glove. Very sturdy and hopefully will be useful on my Honda Trail 70 too.

Thanks ATKRIDER for the confirmation so I knew I was buying the right one! $12 with shipping, made in USA. What a deal! I can't believe I waited 30 years to get the right wrench for the job. :thumbsup:
Your more than welcome. Sorry for not getting you a pic of a oe sachs one-I just forgot about it to be honest-but you did the right thing. I actually bought the (a) set of 4 like the picture about 4 years ago so now I have every size covered. Yea I waited about the same amount of time before making the decision. Best part is they were cheap enough I still had money in the bank after the purchase. Next you need to look at the adjustable pin type spanner wrenches-similar to these AND will save you a lot of grief and destroyed parts. Trust me-I actually use them more often than the hook type and will sometimes work in place of them. Just saying-:thumbsup: