Scrap mini bike build

Well i havent built anything big since thanksgiving, so i decided its time to fire up the welder again. I've wanted to build a mini bike for a while, just never actually done it. My goals are to keep the cost under $50, I have everything i need besides sprockets and chain. The frame so far is made completely out of old school chairs, but im outa them so i'll have to dig into my scrap pile for the rest. The powerhouse for this thing will probably be a 5hp briggs flatty, no governor, port and polished, eyebrows shaved, .030 taken off the head custom exhaust, maybe a better carb. I'm also thinking about going direct drive with either 6:1 or 5:1 ratio (15" tires) to keep cost down.

Nope it was a snapper :thumbsup:

I'm not exactly sure how i'll set them up, i guess i'll have to make it a live axle in the rear, or maybe i'll see if TSC has something better.

Yea, i was pretty psyched that the angle worked out like that, less work for me.
UPDATE

Put in a few reinforcements, added part of the seat mount (I'll be making my own seat with plywood, foam, and vinyl), welded in the mounting plate for the headset and Adapted one of the tires so that it can be keyed onto a live axle (just had bushings before).

Heres the back tire, what i did was remove the old bushings, and put in the keyed hub part from a larger 18" lawnmower tire, i tack it, got it as true as possible, then welded it up. Im pretty impressed with it, theres very little wobble in it.

Headset mount (it doesnt look square, but thats because the piece of stock isnt square, the bottom is square to the frame).

Seat mounts, pilot holes drilled.

Footpegs ill use, there left over from the motorcycle i used to make my shifter kart.

Total cost so far $0

delray

what are you going to use for front forks?

where is everybody going to sit now, when we all come over :xmas-smiley-016:

Innovative use of recycled materials. These kinds of builds are always fun, seeing what new uses for old stuff can be found. I did the same thing using tire irons and goped wheels.

what are you going to use for front forks?

where is everybody going to sit now, when we all come over :xmas-smiley-016:
No clue what im doing for front forks at the moment, i've been looking at my scrap and i really dont have enough to make my own forks without tearing apart my scrap built go kart. I may try to fit the front forks from a mounted bike on there, but im not sure, may have to buy metal :sadcrying4:

As for the sitting, you can still sit in the chairs, there just at floor level :smile:

Spyguy, i saw your build, really like the tire iron idea (I'm the same KK from DIYgokarts).

Didnt want everyone to think i gave up on this thing or something, i've just been doing other stuff (workin on a POS sled, and school just started up again). Anyways, i picked up another broken school chair today, and i got my sprockets/chain in the mail. I'm also doing a little re-fitting on the frame, i wasnt thinking when i made it and i really need the front end to taper together so that the triple clamps can clear. Anyways, i'll probably get back on it in the next few days and ill get some pictures up when i do.

No clue what im doing for front forks at the moment, i've been looking at my scrap and i really dont have enough to make my own forks without tearing apart my scrap built go kart. I may try to fit the front forks from a mounted bike on there, but im not sure, may have to buy metal :sadcrying4:

As for the sitting, you can still sit in the chairs, there just at floor level :smile:

Spyguy, i saw your build, really like the tire iron idea (I'm the same KK from DIYgokarts).
The front end from a old scrapyard mountain bike is cheap and effective.

Finally did a little more, re-did the front end, and make the seat mounts (gotta cover that plywood in foam and vinyl). Been going slow on this thing, since its winter and my main priority has been getting my sled going good, which it is now.

Sorry its been so long, hopefully ill move a little faster from here on in, i have 3 more chair frames to build with and i cleaned my shop over the weekend so i should be good to go.