Sears Roper Fork Disassembly

Do a Google Custom Search (top of page), using the search words "Sears Roper Forks" (I just tried it) and you will pull up LOTS of threads with information from members on how to do it.
Michael

j57little

I've read many of the posts, but they don't seem clear. A lot of "maybe" this and "probably" that..."Cut the fender support, heat the tubes and they slide off." What???? And there's virtually nothing about reassembly. How do you get a set of forks repainted and replated and then reassemble without damaging the finish? I really appreciate the help, but if you know of a particularly good post or member who's actually done the disassembly that could really help. Thanks again, Jack

j57little

I tried the link, but it says I don't have access. But thanks for confirming the basic process. The question is, once you get the forks untwisted, how hard is it to get them back into position? Much appreciated!

Those Rupp forks and the Roper forks are different. The Rupps the lowers are individual and spin off one at a time, the Ropers have the fender bracket welded to the lowers. You don't have to cut the fender bracket! You can, but it's not necessary. I just disassembled a set of Roper forks this weekend and didn't bother to take pics 'cause as Michael said it's been covered here. A lot.

I did take some shorts of a Bird I did a while back, it has the same style forks and the technique is the same:

If you look closely at the first few pics you can see the bike has the all too common high speed option:doah:. I had to get the forks apart to get the rust from behind the springs, so I had to take them apart anyway. Most people say you cant get these forks apart without cutting the fender mount, because it's welded on. I want this bike to have NO NEW paint so that's not an option, so I used a strap wrench to the springs and cranked them all the way into the top of the triple tree. Crappy pic but it's all I got:shrug:

After the springs were in as far as they could go I just slightly bent the tabs on the lowers that were holding them in and they popped right out:thumbsup:. Because the inner part of the upper tree was bent back a few degrees, the lowers didn't want to move. So to get them un-stuck without damage, I put the axle back in, then placed a 2x4 on top (where the wheel would be) and gave it a few smacks with a dead blow hammer and out they popped:hammer:. You can see the black paint on the springs, when they painted these bikes the whole front end was chrome, then they just taped off (poorly:laugh:) the bars and springs.

Basically you just bent the tabs holding the springs in (I used a long skinny screwdriver, then a pair of needle nose pliers) far enough so the spring can slip by. On the Bird I bent the tabs on the lowers, but on the Roper I just did I bent the tabs on the base of the triple tree, 'cause once it's bent back after re assembly you won't see it unless you look from the bottom. It's a Survivor bike and I'm not repainting it, and I wanted to make sure I didn't thrash the original paint.