Sears Roper Springs

I am looking for the springs for the forks. Bought a few sets now & cant seem to get it right. Where are you guys getting your springs from? Does anyone have any they would get rid of or can direct to a place to buy them?

Wire size: 3/16" best i can tell
length: 3-1/2"
ID: 1-1/4" ??
OD: 1-1/2-1-5/8"??

Let me know!

Thanks

Chuck

No advise for me? I know there have been quite a few roper builds on here & I read most all of them, but didnt find any info. If you need pics, I can provide.

Thanks,

Chuck

Chuck,
You probably read my son's Sears Roper thread ("The Ruppster 86") in the "Project Log" topic section. On the very last page of that thread, his last photos show what new old stock front springs look like. Unfortunately, I cannot tell you where to purchase them, (his came with the forks) however, if you are going to fabricate/duplicate them, I would offer this piece of advice: The stock springs are REALLY stiff, to the point that they do not provide very much shock absorbing. I would recommend going with a slightly softer or smaller gauge spring for a better ride.
Good luck,
Michael

Thanks Michael! Yes I did read your sons thread. I am beginning to wonder if these are even the right forks for this bike. When i took them off, somebody before jammed a piece of conduit in the lower hole of the forks to make it work & there is about 3/4" gap w/o the conduit in there. I used the brass flanged bearings to eat that space up.

But they are on there now & I am bound & determined to get some springs that will work. Or maybe even pick up another set of forks somewhere with good springs on them. I am all ready to paint this bike & need to get this sorted in the next couple of weeks.

You are welcome Chuck,
How about posting some photos of your bike? We ALL love photos, and maybe they will help us to help you better? There are lots of Sears Roper lovers/owners on this forum and we enjoy seeing the bikes of others regardless of the condition.
Regards,
Michael:scooter:

markus

I am looking for the springs for the forks. Bought a few sets now & cant seem to get it right. Where are you guys getting your springs from? Does anyone have any they would get rid of or can direct to a place to buy them?

Wire size: 3/16" best i can tell
length: 3-1/2"
ID: 1-1/4" ??
OD: 1-1/2-1-5/8"??

Let me know!

Thanks

Chuck
Chuck, I have these NOS springs that seem to fit your measurements but are longer (about 5.5" long). you could try cutting them down and see how it feels maybe:shrug: I have never seen the short ones like the Ropers have offered anywhere, although you may try mcmaster-carr or a place like that?

If you want to try them, $13 shipped to you

You could always lower the spring cups and make it a longer travel :pimp:

Heya markus! I have been all over your pics lurking & looking......muuhaahaaa!

My problem is I am a lowly electrician who does not know how to weld. Unless it is my linesman pliers to the side of the box. :wink: It seems there are a lot of springs with the 5-1/2" dim out there. MMC doesnt have it....tried! The ID is the most important dim for me.

I will post a good pic up here in a few of the fork springs.

PM coming your way also!

Thanks,

Chuck

PS. you have to watch out for that 45t guy....I am not to sure about him! :blink: lol

BAM! :thumbsup:

The springs on it are tight to the tube & wont move up & down.

WOOOHOOO.....I am a member now! I graditated!! Not the first time I have been labeled a "member"!

Last edited:

Andrewp

If I can get over to my dads this week I can do some measuring for you. The roper I have doesn't have front suspension. If you dont hear from me send me a pm to remind me.

Here is a pic of his.

Andrewp

I do have this at my house. I'm pretty sure it has the same forks as a roper.
I think its closer to the year of your roper also. My dads is a few years older.

Andrewp

Ok the springs on these forks are:
3/16 diameter wire
1 5/8" o.d.
1 1/4" I.d.
2" tall (close as I can tell)
Remember this frame is older than yours. Look at the pics in the sears section, because some of the ones with gas tanks came with longer springs.

Andrewp

These forks are not on a roper, but I'm pretty sure match. They are a few years newer than the other one I posted.
3/16"diameter wire
1 5/8" o.d.
1 1/4" I.d.
4 1/2" tall (best I can tell)