Simple to Make Mini-bike Test Stand--Save a trip to the ER

Pure coincidence that the immediate post prior to this one is review-ish of the Harbor Freight Bike stand. I, too, bought one and it is just fine for putting a frame that is in balance on it, otherwise one needs to support either the front or rear or clamp the frame to the stand. I bought it to save my back from more agony. IMG_2631.JPG You can see it kind of works, and I'm using it for the Maverick build with additional supports until the engine gets installed.

The test stand I'm offering up is simple to build with scrap lumber. After really screwing up last spring when adjusting the governor on a bike (it took off with my left arm attached and included a trip to the ER), I always first fire a bike on blocks, adjust the carb settings and whatever else that needs doing. The problem, though, is bikes like to vibrate off the blocks usually when I can't hit the stop switch.

What you'll need is some scrap 2x8s or 2x10s, 3" wood screws, and a couple of heavy duty angle brackets. To finish the stand, find some scrap carpet or rubber strips. Tools may include a circular saw, sawzall, belt sander, staple gun and drill.

I made my stand 24" wide and 11 1/2" tall. I wanted it tall enough to be sure the rear wheel stays a safe distance from the ground and I didn't want the feet to be near the tire. Short frame bikes may slide a bit, but the front wheel can easily be blocked up or do as I did and put a simple strap on the stand.

The stand is cut to length and screwed together (put the cups of the grain toward the inside to minimize warping). I then cut a slight angle on each end to save my shins. The notch is 1 1/4" deep to accommodate carpet strips. That's done by finding the center and plunge cutting the notch with a circular saw and cleaning it up with a sawzall and belt sander.
IMG_2616.jpg IMG_2617.JPG IMG_2618.JPG

Then I attached two scrap 2x6s for the base. I used 4-3" screws and then heavy duty angle brackets one on each side opposite. IMG_2619.JPG IMG_2620.jpg IMG_2621.jpg

Then I cut some scrap carpet and stapled it to the notched section. I used a 16d nail to set the staples below the nap of the carpet. to secure the bike, if necessary, I took an old snatch strap and lag bolted it to either side.
IMG_2623.JPG IMG_2624.jpg IMG_2625.jpg
Here are photos of the stand supporting the Gilson and the Ruttman. I used the snatch strap on the Ruttman. The angle looks pretty steep, but I'm 6'4" so the view is looking down.
IMG_2628.JPG IMG_2626.JPG IMG_2629.JPG

I have had some close calls before too, seems like a good idea. I have some old wire spool racks that sit on the ground that I could make a similar stand from, I've been debating throwing them in one of my scrap vehicles before I haul em but now I might be able to use em. Thanks for the idea!

trinik7597

Three milk crates zip tied together with the top one having 2 sides cut out for bolt access is my cheap fix to a bike stand .. And a old pressure washer cart for engine break in .. Now that I am reclaiming the garage I have plans for a new work bench with a built in break in Mount though ..

Wow cool idea! Trinik I like your approach too!
I will need to make a stand for my drag bike at some point, exploring my options now. Obviously metal would be easy to weld but could get heavy depending on type. Wood might end up being a good choice for a few reasons.

Three milk crates zip tied together with the top one having 2 sides cut out for bolt access is my cheap fix to a bike stand .. And a old pressure washer cart for engine break in .. Now that I am reclaiming the garage I have plans for a new work bench with a built in break in Mount though ..
And, like an idiot, I tossed the pressure washer cart I had (which I was going to do something with). I like your low weight solution.

Wow cool idea! Trinik I like your approach too!
I will need to make a stand for my drag bike at some point, exploring my options now. Obviously metal would be easy to weld but could get heavy depending on type. Wood might end up being a good choice for a few reasons.
This weighs about 20 lbs, but depending on the frame you have, you could fit the notches so the bike doesn't move side to side making it good for hauling, too. The Gilson fits snugly with the frame at the swing arm just wider than the notch (see last photo).