Small Engine Repair Classes

Has any of you taken small engine classes from a on-line or mail corrospondance type of school. I want to but would like some friendly imput first, as I have come to trust your opinions here on this forum.:deal:

I started 2 take one from foley-belsaw last year but never finished it.:doah: After getting into the minibike hobby, I already inquired about finishing the course. Good luck with it:thumbsup:

cxbra

Oh, i've never heard of a small engine course.. I think most of the guys on here have worked on cars all their lives, small engines are much less complicated so it becomes cake to some.

Small engine repair is a good starting point.
Career wise, it is a tough business to stay in.
Personally, I've seen about 5 shops close-up in the last 5 years.

When you think about the price to repair a lawnmower and the price to buy a new one, sometimes there is only a difference of $20-$50.

Guess what most customers chose...........

And that's just it, 90% of your business is lawnmowers and those drive me crazy !!!!:scared:

Learn small engine repair and expand into the performance side.
That knowledge can be helpful when learning about auto-repair or performance.

Changing and setting points, about the same for small engines & cars.........motorcycles too !!!!

yea i pick up lawnmowers that i find in the trash and fix them and sell them for like 20$ a piece. Youll learn just as much or more than at a school and make money at it. I went to a vocational school part time in high school and hung out with some of the kids in the small engine class. We got really good at hackysack. :laugh: I dont know how your to learn from an online course. These things really take a hands on aproach.

I picked up a whole course on eBay a coupla years back for $100.00. I reccomend getting on eBay and pick up the Briggs & Stratton Single Cylinder "L" head repair manual and the Haynes Small engine repair manual which can be picked up locally at most auto parts stores. Get a beat up lawnmower and learn hands on. The small engine repair biz in Florida is on a roll in that many people have small generators for when power goes out during hurricanes, in addition to riding lawnmowers that cost a thousand and up. They are not to inclined to throw them out if they wont start like a hundred dollar mower. Good luck

korndog

I picked up a whole course on eBay a coupla years back for $100.00. I reccomend getting on eBay and pick up the Briggs & Stratton Single Cylinder "L" head repair manual and the Haynes Small engine repair manual which can be picked up locally at most auto parts stores. Get a beat up lawnmower and learn hands on. The small engine repair biz in Florida is on a roll in that many people have small generators for when power goes out during hurricanes, in addition to riding lawnmowers that cost a thousand and up. They are not to inclined to throw them out if they wont start like a hundred dollar mower. Good luck
Good call. Have both of those books. The Hayne's manual is well illustrated and very good IMO.

Started the Course its from Penn Foster, the insturction is pretty straight forward and I can submit tests on line or by snail mail or even telephone. I recommend checking it out if your interested there are many payment options also.. :grind: :hammer: :scooter:

Started the Course its from Penn Foster, the insturction is pretty straight forward and I can submit tests on line or by snail mail or even telephone. I recommend checking it out if your interested there are many payment options also.. :grind: :hammer: :scooter:
Good for you k9. That's awesome.