Smithy 3-in-1

kbs8ball

I never heard of them either?? looks like some sweet set ups though...any relation to the shopsmith for wood working??...those were decent tools

Oldsalt

Yellowhand. You previously noted that you have a lathe made by C.H. Ina. I take it you do not have a mill. The Smithy has the overhead mill 'attachment' but you won't like it. Ditto for a 'mill/drill' no matter who made it or how much it costs. The problem is that neither of these machine tools have a Knee to raise and lower the table. I know by pictures of some of the things that you have built that you are a machinest type guy. As you are very obviously not a beginner at making chips I am sure you will be seriously disadvantaged by not having the knee. Honest...trust me on this. Save your money and get a small mill [separate from the lathe] that sports a knee. Also do not waste any money on a mill that doesn't take a R-8 collet. I bought the smallest mill that Grizzly sells. Phone # 1-800-523-4777. It has a 6-1/8" X 26" table. Model G3102. Also made in China. 17 hundred a few years ago. I love it. I believe it is the best buy for a number of reasons. One of them is that it is 120 V. Not three phase. Again, live with the small lathe for now. Save up for a real mill. O.K., it is not as rigid as a Bridgeport. However, my eldest offered me his big Bridgeport rather than put it in storage. Turned it down, that should tell you something. I like my little mill. Gotta admit that I converted mine to an AC Inverter for speed control and added a three axis DRO. That cost more than the mill but it was a gift for side work I had done. But those things are not strictly necessary. My opinion on lathes? The Chinese built lathe that is one size larger than your existing unit is a much sturdier unit. I have an old Clausing 12" built in the 50's. If I didn't have it I'd probably be looking at a C. H. Ina 12".

Oldsalt...thanks for the tip on the Grizzly mill...we bought two of their big lathes about six months ago and have been very happy with them. I'll check their catalog for mills that fit my 'garage' needs.

I'm looking for machine tools specifically for my garage, or home shop type machines that the average guy can fit (and wire...no three-phase) into his personal workshop.

I can drive six miles down the road to the shop and use the big stuff there, but I'm looking for smaller, yet functional tools for evening minibike building.

Thanks for the tip...model G3102...I'll check it out.