snowmobile reg wiring

wjustice

I want to hook up a headlight on my trisport with a 290 ccw engine. I got a reg real cheap but it didn't come with instructions. Can someone how this is wired? The engine has 2 wires coming out of the charge coil.

Added a pic of the reg. My phone didnt want me to add it for some reason.

Last edited:

ELT

On the regulator, the black wire is ground and the yellow wire is spliced into the power wire from the engine. On the engine are the two wires coming frome the engine the same color? If its like other old sled engines I have worked with both leads produce power and you use one. The power is most likly Ac not DC.

wjustice

Ok yes both wires are the same color or at least I cannot see a trace color anymore. I did assume it was an ac circuit. My plan was to.go from one power output to a switch. From there to the light. From the light a ground all the way back to the engine. I don't want to have the chassis in the circuit unless I have to. So now the reg yellow wire attaches the power after the switch and the black to the return ground line? Thanks

ELT

Ok yes both wires are the same color or at least I cannot see a trace color anymore. I did assume it was an ac circuit. My plan was to.go from one power output to a switch. From there to the light. From the light a ground all the way back to the engine. I don't want to have the chassis in the circuit unless I have to. So now the reg yellow wire attaches the power after the switch and the black to the return ground line? Thanks
The yellow wire can attach before or after the switch. It might be a cleaner setup to put it right at or on the engine.

wjustice

Yeah that's what I wanted to do. If everything is mounted near the engine, all I need to run forward is the 2 wires to and from the light. Thanks

If there are two yellow wires, it's A/C... in this case there should be a regulator that the the two wires alternate through... it is one positive, and one is the return through the stator...

power is constanly cycling through the regulator, and there is one positive out wire coming out of the reluator that you actually use for your positive power out..

So, if ya have two yellow wires, there is a good chance you can not JUST find a one power out, that you can use as 12 volt positive, then body ground, because there is no body ground in your stator system...

If it will body ground, you can probably just use the positive as positive, then body ground, and put the light bulb in the middle..

if not, you can probably just wire the light between the two yellow wires.... The regulator itself just keeps from over charging and exploding your battery, or draining your battery when the engine isn't running...

It should not generate so much power that it will blow the bulb without a regulator...

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/project-logs/61380-trks-lighted-hs50-cinderella-stroy-how.html

wjustice

Ok there is a bit of info missing. This is a 2 cyl 2 stroke snowmobile engine. It is a/c but there is no regulator. There won't be a battery since they will not work with this a/c system. The reg I am going to use is know as a shunt regulator. It operates in half wave mode and either lead can be used with the engine or chassis as ground. It basicly clamps the voltage. It is a fairly common for them to blow bulbs when the regs go bad. I'm not a expert so anyone else please chime in.

ELT

The genaric regulator you have for that system will work for lights only. If there was a battery involved you would need a regulator rectifier which has a diode in it to change the AC to DC. The old one lung rotax I had used a Bosh ignition and the lighting coil had two yellows like yours, one side went out to power the lights and the other lead went to the regulator rectifier and charged the battery, if it had electric start.