someone has reduce the weight of an flywheel?

I was thinking to take flywheel to the machine shop to reduce the weight a little an gain some rpm faster, do any one with a Tecumseh motor has done that, or is a stupid ideas:grind:

Most Tecumseh's shipped to the mini bike manufacturers back in the day had aluminum flywheels. I guess this was done to improve throttle response.

A Tec cast iron flywheel can be lightened, but it will need to be rebalanced. I have had it done on a few tecumseh race engines. Best bet is to have a reputable shop do the work. Cast flywheels definately have a rpm limit, so keep that in mind. If you are playing with tecumseh engines you will find there is not a whole lot of after market speed parts available.

i have a hard time believing that having a flywheel
machined, balanced, etc., by a machine shop would
be cheaper than buying a billet flywheel. :shrug:

plus without a stress analysis how would we know if the
lightening process didn't weaken the flywheel??? you need
to be a mechanical engineer with technical knowledge of
flywheel to make these decisions. just my opinion :thumbsup:

not easy to find a billet flywheel for a tecumseh unless you recut taper from one with a smaller diameter. It also needs to have same diameter or you will need to relocate coil and if adapting a different flywheel then you will also need correct coil to work with the magnet on the flywheel you are adapting to your tec.

not easy to find a billet flywheel for a tecumseh unless you recut taper from one with a smaller diameter. It also needs to have same diameter or you will need to relocate coil and if adapting a different flywheel then you will also need correct coil to work with the magnet on the flywheel you are adapting to your tec.
solution: keep the tec stock (as antiques should be!) and get a predator
or a clone and mod that. :smile:

Not sure about your flywheel but on some you will also be machining away portions of the magnets that are at the heart of the magneto for spark ignition. Not good to weaken your spark.

And I agree with everything else written above. This is not a good idea. Get a bigger, better engine . . . . there is no substitute for cubic inches.

Rick

oldfatguy

I agree, don't mess with the flywheel. To me, I think that a heavy flywheel will retain the engines power better than a lighter one so that the engine will not slow down when a load is put on it. I run Tecumseh h60 engines with big heavy cast iron flywheels and both will rev quick and dam near snap you neck under full throttle acceleration. You have to consider that a big heavy flywheel will have a lot more momentum than a lighter one. But then if you are after super high rpms then it maybe a whole different thing.

machine shop the flywheel

Thanks all for the advice, but my plans are to shave only were the starter run, like 3/4 of an inch...what u guys think it would not break my hm100 10 hp motor:shrug:

What would you rather have thrown at you a pebble or a brick? Lighting a flywheel is safer than not. As long as you only machine the outer inertia ring and mass and leave the inner hub alone. As long as your 100% confident in what you are removing do it,but if not then DON'T.
Of course I believe just because you even ask this question here before you went and did it you are already not 100% sure.:shrug: