Spark Arrestor

JRW

Hey guys. Picked up a Coleman ct200u for a song and am starting to modify. I want to use it on BLM/forest service ground along with private Property where wild fire is a risk here in CA. I’m thinking of getting it green stickered but haven’t decided.
I’m coming up short on the best way to add a spark arrestor to this bike. I’d like to know what others have done.
Thanks
JRW

Try looking on Amazon and Ebay. I have one on a Predator 420 that in on a tractor. The one I have came from Ebay and it mounts on a big screw on hot dog muffler with a hose clamp. it looks like two layers of fine stainless steel mesh and it does catch a lot of sparks.

Welcome to the madness!

SAS289

Spark arresters are rarely discussed here. It's been at least a year since I've seen a picture of one on a bike here. The last one I seen here was a SuperTrapp. If they weren't so expensive I would already have one on my bike. Not because they are USDA forest service approved, but because they are a tunable performance muffler. I just can't see spending $160 on a muffler for a minibike.

Quick and dirty method is to clamp some stainless steel mesh over the end of the pipe from a dollar store strainer. There is USFS specific clamp on arresters that are cone shaped and clamp on the end of a pipe, often meant for dirt bikes and ATVs. A muffler with one built in, as noted by SAS, is going to be a spendy proposition.

Otherwise, you can also disassemble a cheap muffler and spend the time to attach a tube with holes drilled in it attached to the inlet of the muffler going inside the muffler. You then have to have a method to clean out the modified muffler, often by building a cleanout port that can be sealed shut.

Personally, if I was going to ride in a state park that required it, I'd just go the janky clamp-on screen route.

I have to add my 2 cents.
Having lived in Cali my whole life with dirt-bikes, the local State parks around here ( Santa Clarita Valley ) are pretty strict about USFS spark arrestors. Gotta have them !
Every time We ride at Hungry Valley OHV and go to pay for entrance fee , while you are paying someone sneaks around the back and probes your bikes exhaust with a wire to check if it is legal to ride there. If not, they can impound the bike for the length of your stay.

I really don't think slapping a screen and a hose clamp would work, the funnel screens may be OK !?!
Then again, the law only wants to see the USFS Spark Arrestor Approved stamped on the metal. AND they STILL check it.

JRW

I have to add my 2 cents.
Having lived in Cali my whole life with dirt-bikes, the local State parks around here ( Santa Clarita Valley ) are pretty strict about USFS spark arrestors. Gotta have them !
Every time We ride at Hungry Valley OHV and go to pay for entrance fee , while you are paying someone sneaks around the back and probes your bikes exhaust with a wire to check if it is legal to ride there. If not, they can impound the bike for the length of your stay.

I really don't think slapping a screen and a hose clamp would work, the funnel screens may be OK !?!
Then again, the law only wants to see the USFS Spark Arrestor Approved stamped on the metal. AND they STILL check it.
Thank you sir.