spray painting your frame??

sandblast, primer (usually use spray bomb), then paint. If you sandblast then I would not advise you spray bomb them because it will look dull and pitted. you need a think car type paint if you know what I mean.
If you have more patience than me then you could sand it by hand, then a spray bomb might look ok with enough coats.
I am an expert by no means, this is just what I have found, Am interested in what others think/do.

if you want to sand blastyou can do it with baking soda it is ultra fine itwill not harm the metal just the rust but it takes alot of baking soda to do so us dupont epoxt primer it is thick enough to fill in minor scrapes and scratches and sandable you can go to auto paint supply houses and some can mix car paint in any color you want and put it in a spray can for like $ 15.00 you can get a single stage paint so you don`t have to clear coat it and still be shiney

JTsmks

Guy's these are small frames. Me and my son are stripping our manco in a good paint stripper then using a metal prep and quality filler primer, shoot with a good quality automotive rattle can and add a clear coat. Most people make the mistake of handling it too soon. Let it dry/set-up for at least a week before installing items to allow it to fully cure/solidify. It will only take two passes with the stripper to get it done which is alot better then sanding/feathering/ sanding/feathering sanding/feathering........YUCK!

First they need to be clean from grease and a good biodegradable stripper and pressure washer will take care if that and paint build up.

I like to sandblast because it's the only way to get everything, I was doing it in the back yard and it's not fun in the sun but then I tried a local blasting shop and they only charged me $26 a bike out the door (cleaned) NO BRAINER!

I then use an acid etching primer on raw metal (comes in cans too) Then regular primer sanding between coats. Any big goofs get welded, small ones bondo, and scrathes, pits, dings, get marineputty (love that stuff) I go until it's perfect. light Sand between finish coats too.

BTW, sanding sponges are king on round mini frames and makes the job fast and easy and the come in different grits, and the thin ones are perfect for finish sanding and tight spots and they can be cut down the middle as well. :thumbsup:

Problem with spray cans is, no hardener. So, it takes a long time for th the paint to cure completely. Hardener also helps get a high gloss finish.

However, I've had good luck using spray cans as a base coat and then spaying automotive clear coat, with hardener over the base. Great gloss and chip/peel resistance. And it's a lot cheaper than automotive base coats.

Not sure if the clear coat ever lets the spray can base cure completely though.

gbones

ooops, i screwed that one up. but anyways, i used metal etching primer, than duplicolor for the base and flame grafics, then covered the whole bike with duplicolor mirage "ice" it has a glitter effect, the more coats you add the more of the effect youll get, i used the whole can on the bike. that thing sparkeled like crazy. if you havent heard of it check out there web site, they have alot of cool products. and if done rite it looks great. its all ive ever used, truck interior parts, bike, bass etc. ill post some pics.

heres some pics of the bike. now i got to figure out how to get the pics off of my broken cell phone memory card.

Last edited:
i sanded down to the metal on pretty much the whole frame
then i primed with an etching primer and sanded between the two coats that i put on
and then i put a hardnose por 15 as the color and let it cure for a week and it is very glossy

mitch

Mac

To prepare my frames for paint I spray them with either "Simple Green", or "Awesome" degreaser. Then I hose them off, hang them from my front yard tree, and spray'em with "Krylon" spray can paint. I'm going to sell them for WAY LESS then other's do, so why strip or sand them down. They're beaters, not Museum pieces.

Sand Blast.
Clean out all remaining sandy bits.
Duplicolor Self-Etching Primer
Duplicolor Primer Surfacer
Hand Sand with 800 grit where needed
Duplicolor Rattle Can all over
Duplicolor Clear

IMO, Duplicolor has a better spray tip & coverage than others.
Dupli-Color : Yes You Can