Springs/throttle messed up?

I have a Doodlebug, and my friend decided to take off his muffler for his doodlebug, and I found out that there was a black spring hooked to the muffler. He ended up having a problem with his bike, that when he revved the throttle the bike wouldn't go, and we found out that the part on the carburetor that let gas into the engine wasn't moving.

So his bike is messed, then he comes over to my bike and takes off the black spring hooked to the side of the muffler and he twists the throttle. After that he puts the black spring back on to the muffler and when I went to turn the throttle it would just stick there and not twist back.

Just so you guys know there are two springs on the bike that are used to bring the throttle back after twisting it, and I'm thinking he might of stretched the one of the two. I tried cutting the smaller gold spring and that didn't work, in fact it made it worse. So now I'm wondering if I get new springs for the bike would it help?

Any suggestions??

Thanks for reading, I really want to ride as soon as possible

Also when I turn the throttle the linkage doesn't move.

Oldsalt

I suppose a quick check would be to twist the throttle and, with the other hand, push the lever that the cable connects to. If a LITTLE added pressue makes the twist grip return to idle then the problem is the springs. IF NOT the problem is elswhere. For instance the twist grip is screwed up maybe the throttle cable. One spring, that you mentioned, is connected to that lever behind the engine and the other end hooked on the wire mesh "muffler guard". Another, smaller, spring is also connected to that lever and its other end connected to the tall vertical lever that reaches up to the carb. I suppose another spring can be utilized to make the system work as it was intended before your idiot friend started messing with it. But remember that if more that a little force was required to return the twist grip to the idle position a stronger spring is not the answer. The bike is unsafe to ride if the throttle does not smoothly and easily return on its own. Carefully go over the entire system and see what else your 'friend' screwed with. By the way, almost any hardware store has a reasonable selection of extention springs so getting another of about the right size is easy.

Last edited:
if you have a Harbor Freight near you, they should have a spring assortment for pretty cheap. i picked one up for $7 and it's got at least 100 springs in it of different sizes/strengths. it's been very handy for setting up the throttle on bikes.

Thanks for the reply guys, I'm not so sure though how to put the springs back to place. Because I just added the springs back onto my bike and When I twist the throttle the springs move but the mechanisms that the spring pulls to let gas into the engine doesn't move? I can move the mechanism on manually tho with my hand.

Oldsalt

In the attached picture you can see that the larger of the two springs goes from the fork on the right to the lower wire on the muffler guard. Behind that large dark colored spring you can just barely see that the fork on the left has the little spring in the top hole. That little light colored spring streaches over to the tall vertical lever that runs up to the carb. It has three holes. Hook the spring in the top hole.

Hopes this helps.

In the attached picture you can see that the larger of the two springs goes from the fork on the right to the lower wire on the muffler guard. Behind that large dark colored spring you can just barely see that the fork on the left has the little spring in the top hole. That little light colored spring streaches over to the tall vertical lever that runs up to the carb. It has three holes. Hook the spring in the top hole.

Hopes this helps.
Thank you very much, can anybody take a picture of the carburetor top view, the piece that turns a black thing that lets the fuel into the carb/engine?

Oldsalt

Hope the attached picture is clear enough for your use. There is a link [bent wire] between the tall vertical lever [top hole] and the black plastic throttle valve on the carb. A little spring is hooked in the 'second from the top' hole and connects to the black plastic part in a small hole near where the wire link hooks. To make it more complicated the wire link is 'threaded' through the body of the little spring. The spring is only there to take up any slop. Let me know if this helps

Last edited:
Hope the attached picture is clear enough for your use. There is a link [bent wire] between the tall vertical lever [top hole] and the black plastic throttle valve on the carb. A little spring is hooked in the 'second from the top' hole and connects to the black plastic part in a small hole near where the wire link hooks. To make it more complicated the wire link is 'threaded' through the body of the little spring. The spring is only there to take up any slop. Let me know if this helps

thank you!