Square tubing minibike frame

I've had this mini-bike frame since I was a kid. The frame is made out of square tubing. The electrical tape, red handlebar grip, and front reflector were added by myself, when I was about 9 or 10. I am pretty sure the frame was originally red, as I had noticed a reddish color beneath the seat when I removed it.

I am in Maryland, but I know that the neighbor whom my dad got it from, had moved here from California with his sons, and had brought this with him. He's long since moved back to California.

I saw a couple pics of a Dave Grattan Hound Dog on this site, and wondered if it was possibly another similar model?

Last edited:

george3

I've had this mini-bike frame since I was a kid. The frame is made out of square tubing. The electrical tape, red handlebar grip, and front reflector were added by myself, when I was about 9 or 10. I am pretty sure the frame was originally red, as I had noticed a reddish color beneath the seat when I removed it.

I am in Maryland, but I know that the neighbor whom my dad got it from, had moved here from California with his sons, and had brought this with him. He's long since moved back to California.

I saw a couple pics of a Dave Grattan Hound Dog on this site, and wondered if it was possibly another similar model?
(Mark as best answer) Ill bet yours is home made. I only seen two versions of the Hound Dogs and a buddy of mine ownes them.

Last edited:
Yeah, I kind of figured it was. Though when I flipped the seat up (it tilts, someone added door hinges to it, haha), the middle cross-bracing piece that runs along the top bar on the example of the blue Hound Dog you have, is there.

I've never seen a pic of the model called the Hot Dog, and was kind of curious if it was similar.

Either way, I am hoping to sand it down and repaint it.

Here's a pic of the flip-up seat.

Last edited:

george3

Yeah, I kind of figured it was. Though when I flipped the seat up (it tilts, someone added door hinges to it, haha), the middle cross-bracing piece that runs along the top bar on the example of the blue Hound Dog you have, is there.

I've never seen a pic of the model called the Hot Dog, and was kind of curious if it was similar.

Either way, I am hoping to sand it down and repaint it.

Here's a pic of the flip-up seat.
I dont know what the heck the door hinges are for, just dont install a door knob, :laugh::laugh::laugh:

TomH

I like it a lot. That is a one of a kind. A little bit of this and that, and you have a runner. What are your plans for it?

At the moment, I've cleaned the wheels up a bit, cleaned up the sprocket and hub it attaches to, purchased a set of new inner-tubes and a new rear tire, and have a rain-check over at TSC for some new roller bearings for the wheels. Started to sand some of the rust off the frame today, but it's got a ways to go.

I wind up doing most of the work by hand (general lack of power tools, haha), so it's been a combination of good music on the radio, cold beverages, and elbow grease that keep this project going. :hammer:

Currently, there isn't much of a plan for this bike. This is my first attempt, so it's going to be what it will be, sort of a learning experience. I guess I should be posting the details in the project logs section, sorry about it! :smile:

TomH

Scrub brake looks a little ify. You might want to go with a clutch brake. If you can find a briggs or a tecumseh, that would probably fit the holes in your motor plate without any modification.

Scrub brake looks a little ify. You might want to go with a clutch brake. If you can find a briggs or a tecumseh, that would probably fit the holes in your motor plate without any modification.
Yeah, I agree. It stopped pretty good when I was a kid, rolling down the hill at maybe 10mph, but I was thinking either a clutch brake or getting a drum brake for the rear tire.