Straight pipe question

I have a straight pipe that has a bend in it and I might have to cut it to have it fit on my minibike if I did cut the pipe how will that effect the sound of it and what are some options you would suggest to get it to fit?

You could try heating it up and bending it or putting it in a vise and trying to gently bend it slowly?
I have heard that filling a pipe up with sand will make it not kink when bending it. Now I don't remember where I heard that so it might be BS but I do remember reading or hearing that once, maybe from an old-timer somewhere.

Just put a 1/2'' breaker bar in the end of the pipe while mounted and adjust it away from the tire. You will probably have to loosen the motor and move it forward to get it to bolt up though. I run that same pipe on many bikes and on my Baja for 6-7 years.

You could try heating it up and bending it or putting it in a vise and trying to gently bend it slowly?
I have heard that filling a pipe up with sand will make it not kink when bending it. Now I don't remember where I heard that so it might be BS but I do remember reading or hearing that once, maybe from an old-timer somewhere.
Massacre, you are correct. Typically you have to weld one end of a tube closed and then fill it with "dry" sand. Then drive a wood plug in the open end to seal it. Then you heat it in a forge to provide even heat. Then you can bend it around a buck of the radius you desire. This is how almost all real race car headers were bent in the late 50's and through the 60's. By real race cars I mean endurance type race cars like Lemans prototype cars. Nascar didn't have tube headers until 64 or 65.... Fords GT40's had tube headers built in a little cottage industry in Europe. Fords Indy cars had the same thing but they were referred to as a bundle of snakes because of there intertwining design.

Last edited: