Symptoms looking for a diagnosis....

The past few times I've ridden my Baja MB200, it was fairly brisk out. I noticed a few different sounds compared to when I first got the bike back in August when it was still warm out.

On these cold days, it seems like in the first 10-15 minutes after first riding, there is a screeching sound coming from the clutch... It also seems like when I go to slow down and let off the throttle completely, this screeching gets louder and the bike feels like it wants to keep moving forward...

After about 20 minutes, there is no more sound coming from the clutch area other than the usual "ringing" sometimes when starting out from an idle --> but I have heard that type of sound from day 1 and it doesn't happen all the time.

Should I be concerned? I know that clutches will wear out over time and need to be replaced...

jeep4me

Sounds like your clutch is drying out and has some excess dust inside. On some clutches you need to clean them every few hours of riding. The more expensive clutches don't need to be cleaned as often.

Bushing needs oiled or atf'd.
Boy, I remember that symptom... I think buckeye is right on the money.

If it is an old clutch (lots of miles and smiles), remove your chain and see if there is any wiggle or play on the clutch bushing. Some lube may help for a while, but it only prolongs the inevitable... a new bushing or clutch may be needed. Hopefully, it will only need a cleaning, as jeep4me suggested.

Good luck,

-Doug

Last edited:
Well before riding today, I removed the clutch retaining bolt and then applied some 90 weight gear oil to the C clip. I moved the clip around and also tilted the bike sideways a little so the oil could hopefully get down into the bushing.

It seems to have worked since there was no more hideous screeching sound!!!