"Taco Joe" does GTO a huge.

Hey GTO, how's that ST-100. I thought you'd have it finished over the holidays.

I'm still waiting for a repair on one half of my back rim. Rims looked fine from outside, but I had to cut the tire off because of the rust scale inside the rim. Pitting was so bad there was one pinhole that grows every time my welder friend tries to add metal. These are not the same as the Honda Z 50 wheels, but are just like the Gemini 50 wheels with the integral brake drum and the sprocket mount. Needles to say I haven't found a single useable replacement part on e-bay or the internet in months. At worst, I can cut out the center disk from the wheel rim and use with some Z 50 wheel halves, but the number of bolt holes and cutouts will be a mismatch. The rest is esentially ready to reassemble. I have the frame and all other parts painted, Hs-40 running and ready, chrome shined, all new wheel and jack shaft bearings ready to install. Will just need a new Taco seat cover and chain guard, but I'm saving up for those!
First, this is an old thread! and you'll just make Tomsprops cranky. :doah:

I have seen some Gemini parts and located some forks for Tom be he keeps sidetracking on how they fit. :thefinger:

The rear wheel is hard to find and I've yet to see anything with the same sprocket mount.

As for the hole try less heat or make a patch out of metal them tack the hole. :thumbsup:

As for my Taco, it's pretty much done and I just need a kick in the pants.

Old Thread Recycler

Sorry, newby don't kno. What makes Tomsprops cranky? stuff about "the chain guards." Anyway, thanks for the info. Kinda knew the stuff about the welding tricks, only I'm not the welder. Three cheeleader daughters have away of keeping me busy on weekends and homework help every night...

Hope you finish the Taco soon, will hope to see it as MB of the Month.

Sorry, newby don't kno. What makes Tomsprops cranky? stuff about "the chain guards." Anyway, thanks for the info. Kinda knew the stuff about the welding tricks, only I'm not the welder. Three cheeleader daughters have away of keeping me busy on weekends and homework help every night...

Hope you finish the Taco soon, will hope to see it as MB of the Month.
It would be frustrating for Tom since I order and get. :thefinger: I think he's been cut off from Taco orders ever since putting a clones on a Taco's. (a major sin) :wink:

The welding patch would work since it's a tubed tire and it would be easy to tack a patch then spot the hole. :thumbsup:

All I need to do is polish and blast parts of the chain guard ( Itook some pits out) Finnish the GTO air cleaner and air brush a Taco logo on the engine.

Age thing

Yup, I think the clone engine is an age thing. My Cr 400 has the original hs 40 and I wouldn't ever change that. I might get another mini chopper roller without an engine and put on an Ace 100, or an hs-50, but never a clone. Heck, I even go to great lengths to rebuild the original BTE throttle with vintage OEM parts instead of the new look alikes with the waffle grips.

I thought the chain guard you got was already polished. The airbrushed Taco on the flattie makes it sound like your building a show bike, but I know you're a professed rider.

Should I just start a new thread next time?

The Air brush/painted logo is just to fill in a blank spot on the engine.

It's a rider not a show bike and I kept the cost down, it does have NOS grips and I got them for much less then other places.

I'd like to see you do a thread on your progress. :thefinger:

Last edited:
Super rare 100's

So I just went back and saw some old posts and now understand some of the references to the brake pedal, rare handlebars and kick stands. Don't want to rub salt in the wound, but I take it the frame that you guys were after on E-bay in Aug turned out to be an F-85 and it went to someone else to become rusty yard art. Then something happened and the first frame #00 showed up. Somebody else as of January 2009 has #40 and has posted pictures in the gallery. Your frame is somewhere around the 300's. Are they really that hard to find, cause I kinda wanted to find another S or F frame and put an Ace 100 on it. Perhaps Ive got the bug and I'm just realizing how seriously you guys are about collecting and how lucky I was to stumble across my fairly complete ST 100 on CL for $150. I still like my CR-400! View attachment 6505

Air brush logo

The airbrush logo looks great on the Briggs. Gee, why did I work so hard to get the older style flat vintage shroud that would look correct on the Taco, only to finally decide to put the hs-40 on it like it came originally.

What does it entail doing a thread or project log on my restoration? I'm hoping to put it back together to look just like this.
View attachment 6506

Oh, I was going to use the same tires you did cause they're a good tread for the street, but I saw some almost new Bridgestones on E-bay with the original style heavy off road lugs and had to have them. Can you tell me more about the rubber foot peg grips that fit over the flat bar foot pegs that I have. They rotate back and up in hex bar mounts. I promise I'll get the digital camera out and start taking more pictures of my (slow) progress. If I really wanted to, I could probably be riding in a day's work...

I wasn't aware of number 40, got a link to it? Number 001 is messed up but I'l sure Tom can have it fixed.

I have some HS40 engines but went with a Briggs I/C it ran the best and Steens/ Taco's should have stayed true to briggs.:doah:

I used that pic to make fenders and foot pegs, good luck finding stock rubber for the pegs. I had to make mine from scratch anyway.

Last edited:
Frame # 40

When I did a search on this site for ST 100, several pictures of a blue Super Trail 100 showed up dated january 9 2009, I think. There somewhere in the gallery, but I can't Identified the person that posted or is associated with.
The title is 71-72 Super Trail 100 # s040 - Serial Number Closeup

Thought you might know the score on the S and the F frames.

Yep, Bars are wrong

I noticed the bars looked like they came off a newer mx or BMX bike. In one of the other photos posted on the gallery of this bike, you could see the original front tire near the bike. I'm also wondering if the clutch cover was original, it's not the cast aluminum or fiberglass Taco style, yet has a similar shape. Front brake not hooked up, couldn't see if the foot brake pedal is there, but the kick stand is missing and hence the block of wood. My frame was the same color blue, but didn't have quite as much taco purple showing through from underneath. I wonder if Steen's had them originally purple until the companmy was sold and then Suburban Gas decided those frames should be blue for the new model year or the new company.....

Frame #40 doesn't have the original fenders, but does have a tecumseh.

How hard is it to find an F-85 gas tank or to have one made in Fiberglass.

tomsprops

All right some Taco Talk going On !
Yes, That Gemini fork is a perfect match. Thank's again GTO for that tip !
Yes I do have the First Super trail # S001. And yes it's Beat-up !
I also have A Very complete Steen's Taco F-85 just waiting for the restoration to happen. That bike will have a Hodake Ace100 that's spotless and ready to drop in.
I also have a second F-85 frame that need some work but the good news is I have a second tank that I got from a OldMiniBikes member last year.
PS TacoJoe and my self are Kool. :thumbsup:

St 100's and F-85's

Wow, You've got #1, and a couple of F-85's! I guess you're going to set up the F-85 like TacoJoe's Matterhorn in the Taco gallery that's had an Ace 100 since last year. Do you think Dave Miller or somebody else can knock off some more FG gas tanks for under $300? Sure would be a cool optional part for any 100 or even a 22. Might make use of a clone too easy though.

I have 2 Ace 90's and an Ace 100 that all need work, but I probably only need one piston, some rings, some gaskets and carb parts to get two running. Since I have an St 100 #82, and a spare running tec hs40, that's what I'm planning on using for now, stock seat, no frame mounted tank.

What do you plan to do for the pipe on the Ace 100 and are the rear sprockets for 420 chain?

tomsprops

I have an original Hodaka Pipe I can Use or the Kustom on that is still on the Ace. The Complete F-85 has a rally nice 40/41 rear sprocket. My Matterhorn will be very similar to TJ's but I think I will make it a Taco purple frame ?

tomsprops

DM is a great guy but the term inexpensive dosn't really apply to him. I was kinda looking for a fiberglass company I had used in the past to replicate the tank. It seems that he had moved.
Look at my Taco clone thread for how to put a clone tank on your Taco.

Matterhorn

Yeh, TacoJoe's Matterhorn looks really nice with the black frame and the white tank. GTO and I are both doing the ST 100's in purple with chrome fenders. I wonder what color tank would look good with the purple. I'm still thinking white. Do you have the original plastic fenders? Ive got both mine, but the rear was missing from the mounting hoop back. (about 4 inches missing)

Clone tank

I read how the clone tank got chopped down. I'm not a clone guy. I like restoring the original stuff. Started last summer when I rescued my 69 Bonanza mini chopper cr 400 from my parents garage. Am the original owner and it is complete with original manuls, stickers, etc.

tomsprops

I like the original stuff as well But if it's gonna be riden hard those clones can't be beat ! I rode that Bonanza MX today it was fun but the 4hp just doesn't thrill my 220lbs A :censure: s ! But it belongs there .

I don't like motorcycle type tanks on mini's unless it was stock and even still it strays from my vision on what a "mini bike" is.

My ST-100 was missing fenders, fender mounts, pegs, peg bars, and kick stand . I found some fenders from a bike yard and cut them to match the pic and made brackets, I left the chrome and will somehow tie it in with the chain gaurd by polishing the outer part.

If I where to drop a clone in a Taco (not a chance in hell) I would use a round tank and stick it where the square one was using a steel plate and bracket, the steel plate would protect my balls from the rod blowing through the engine. :thefinger:

This looks a little better than a clone and just as fast (I raced it against our clone. It's also American made and the same brand as the original. :thefinger:

Last edited: