TAV question

gbabins1

I picked up a new TAV about a year from OldMiniBikes warehouse. They were pretty cheap so I grabbed one and it sat for about 1 year before I got around to using it. I put it on a few weeks ago and noticed right away the the driven unit has a slight wobble in it. At first I suspected the 3/4 jackshaft (since I've bent a couple of those before on other bikes I own... but it was not bent (jachshaft on the TAV). I took the driven unit off and just for kicks spun it on a new 3/4 jackshaft I had in the tool box. The driven unit is clearly wobbling. It appears to be causing issues with the belt also, little fine black belt dust is all over the backplate after riding for only a few minutes. Just curious if anyone else has had this issue or know of a good way to correct the wobble beside buying a new driven? I know they are the ones made from China but I still expected that they would be true.

gbabins1

It appears that both sides are wobbling on the driven unit. When I spin it and hold a screwdriver close, it hits the driven then clears it. I've only had Comets before and never noticed the wobble so I didn't think it was normal... but not sure if it's something I can correct without buying another driven.

Can you take a video, upload it to you tube and link to it here?
Give us an idea how much wobble we're talking about.

Chinese stuff is not as good as Genuine Comet but having bought several Chinese 30 series driven and driver sets I would still recommend buying them.

Belts however should ALWAYS be genuine Comet.

Belt alignment okay? I had driven pulley assembled w/ a spacer out of place and it made clutch grab & buck....created a lot of belt dust. Even with assembled correctly, had alignment issues so had to add spacers (shims) on driven and grind spacer on drive pulley.

I had repaired a Comet TAV, for the bearing/jackshaft separated from its frame. I dissembled and welded the area, where the bearing assembly attaches to the frame of the unit. Wonder if this is the same location you're experiencing the problem?

Comet TAV unit..jpg

gbabins1

Can you take a video, upload it to you tube and link to it here?
Give us an idea how much wobble we're talking about.

Chinese stuff is not as good as Genuine Comet but having bought several Chinese 30 series driven and driver sets I would still recommend buying them.

Belts however should ALWAYS be genuine Comet.
Sure I can do that. Sorry I couldn't respond sooner... been pretty busy at work. I'll see if I can a video tomorrow in good lighting. I did just buy a Comet belt. Smoked the other one pretty quick. We have a little track behind out house my son and I ride. I was dragging it out with a little grader we made to tow behind the bike. The wet dirt may have been a little too heavy for the belt. [emoji1]

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

gbabins1

Belt alignment okay? I had driven pulley assembled w/ a spacer out of place and it made clutch grab & buck....created a lot of belt dust. Even with assembled correctly, had alignment issues so had to add spacers (shims) on driven and grind spacer on drive pulley.
It did have an alignment issue at first but I quickly shimmed it. I even took the driven off and put it on another jackshaft just to verify it was nothing with the bearings, backplate or stock jackshaft.

gbabins1

I had repaired a Comet TAV, for the bearing/jackshaft separated from its frame. I dissembled and welded the area, where the bearing assembly attaches to the frame of the unit. Wonder if this is the same location you're experiencing the problem?

View attachment 97711
Well I did remove the driven and put it on another jackshaft and still had the wobble. I mean, so far it doesn't seem to be tearing up the belt but we've only ridden it for about 45 minutes total. I'm just concerned for our all day riding we do. I don't want to tow or push this hog back through the sand and trails