TEC Pinging ? Older 70s HM60 with adjustable breaker plate

old shed finds

Hello guys,, Just built our HM60 for Nova Tote Gote and its the 1970s Block with the adjustable breaker plate,Pinging Noise, So we might have the plate to much advance on spark timing? Is this possible? We are going to Buy 90 Octane fuel today and give this Goat a ride.see if that 90 Octane fuel is the fix..?

old shed finds

Thanks for reply,, Its smooth as can be at Idle and mid throttle Just ping sound at Full throttle Rev? But noise is not bad most people would not notice it..and it might not be nothing but clutch noise? Me and son built this engine and put the breaker plate at the middle of its adjustment,, Thanks bikebudy!

old shed finds

Thanks for video bikebudy its funny how these sound the same,, Look at our photos and see the exhaust on our HM60 Its on our blue Nova Gote turned out very good,,

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
My plate is set all the way forward, which I don't think really matters.
What counts is where and when the points are opening.

I'd try clocking your plate just a bit forward? ( away from carb )

Me and son built this engine and put the breaker plate at the middle of its adjustment.
This engine needs to have the points open at .080" BTDC. This is accomplished by setting point gap at .020 at TDC. Set dial indicator at top of piston and zero out. All wires from points disconnected. Affix ohm meter with one lead from points stud and the other to engine ground.

Now rotate crank CCW until piston moves back down to .080". Loosen stator plate and rotate until you just lose continuity. (Until your meter reads "open.") Tighten stator plate and reattach wires and you're timed.