Tecumseh throttle connection?

Anybody have any pics on how to hook up a throttle cable on an H35 Tecumseh? I'm looking to do a clean install but also functional.. I'm currently struggling to get my twist-throttle set up correctly and would like to see how others have addressed this issue on Tecumseh mills.

Motra

You can get the minibike throttle kit from Tecumseh that came on their minibike engines. Nothing works better than the real deal. I don't have the part number now but I can get it tomorrow, or I could order it for you if you want.

Does your engine have a red handle lever for throttle or is it set up for a mini? Can you take a pic? Does your carb have a float bowl?

I can show you how to covert a lever throttle to mini with a drill and a few washers and nuts. :thumbsup:

Thanks guys for the replies! My carb is a float type carb and has the throttle type lever on the side of the fan shroud. Any info on how to switch to a minibike specific linkage set up would be great!

images

Here is something I found at RuppParts.com, but it looks just like what's on the shround minus the throttle lever with the red knob. I'm also having troubles figuring out how to take the slack out of the cable... I'm thinking I will need to cut it, but I'd hate to cut it and have it too short?

Motra

I got the part number for the Tecumseh kit, it's 730136A. That's the throttle that came on minibikes that had Tecumseh engines and the one in the picture a couple of threads up. You can order it from any lawn mower shop or anyone who handles Tecumseh.

Ok, just saw a close up of that Tecumseh linkage, it appears that would be the simplest way to git 'er done, I reckon. I now have a better understanding of what I'm trying to accomplish.

I'm cheap and I have scrap metal and a welder. I'm also using a twist throttle and cable from a Kawasaki. The lead doohickey on the cable ends makes it easy to figure out.

I know what the doohickey is called, but it escapes me at the moment. Feel free to tell me what it is called.

:thumbsup:

Heres how you can do it at no cost and using a drill bolts and washers.

Drill out the rivets holding the unit on the recoil cover and remove.

Drill out rivet on the arm, then bob the red handle off

You need to get the arm to move freelly so use a bushing, spacer, or what ever you have that wont tighten the arm when bolted (so it moves free) then use a nut and bolt with lock tite on the nut. Make sure it moves free.

Install a cable connector for the cable and have a washer on each end so it slides up and down freely and connect your return spring to that.

You may have to slightly bend the arm that goes to the gov.

Bolt unit back on where it was riveted and lock tite.

Hope this makes sence, very easy and works like the mini bike unit. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

oldfatguy

What I have done with my tecumseh for a quick throttle hook up is,use a small round screw in eye loop .Just drill a small hole in the engine cover and screw it in.You could make an L bracket too,all it does is hold the throttle cable.You will need to make a pivot for the lever on the carb to attach the cable.I used a screw on top from a spark plug with a hole drilled in the side for the cable,then it's one screw to hold it on the throttle lever and one in the top to lock in the cable. For the return spring,just put a long coil spring around the cable inbetween the eye loop and the throttle lever.This will also by pass the governor .This is easy to do and works well