Terra Tandem Upgrade.

Mean Dean

After much debate I am going to update my Terra Tandem. Since the original engine was a 3H.P. Tecumseh and the Comet TC88 primary was shot and hard to find. I Want to add more power Trying to keep it all American with modern ponies. Going with the new Lauson 6.5 OHV. Digging in my stash going with a newer Comet Torque converter set up. Going to change the wheels. More stash digging. Original Tab Loc 5 spokes 4 inch wide with 5.30 4.10 x6 front and rear tires. A few small mods to the engine. Robertson pipe with a Slash cut. Remove the governor. Bigger jet in the carb. Mostly I want a good cruiser for me and the girlfriend. I am digging out two NOS seats and shocks. New Ruttman Pak Mule handlebars. Should be done in a day or two.

jeep4me

Sweet!!

Make sure to use some heavy duty shocks on it. I had to get some different ones for mine because with two people riding on it, the front seat was hitting the spark plug.

I also debated on going factory or modified when I started my restoration. But seeing how almost everything on the bike was not stock (short of the frame, forks, front fender and handle bars) I opted for a full modification.

Good Luck with it, I'm sure you'll love it once it's done.:thumbsup:

Mean Dean

Terra Tandem Terror!

It is done now. Lots of changes since I started this one. Originally I was going to put a Stage 1 Lauson 6.5 OHV. putting out around 10 H.P. done by EnZo . Aw what the hell. Stage II 14 H.P. done by EnZo. All new Torque Converter and jackshaft, The old stuff was worn out and hard to find. Ruttman 5 spokes were used for muscle effect and bad ass looks. Thanks to OldMiniBikes for necessary parts and fast shipping. All new older stock 5.30 x6 Trials Tires. NOS Terra seats. New Taller handle bars. All new wheel bearings etc. Came out nice and left the original paint on it. Added an older Custom Gas Tank. NOS Chrome rear shocks. Had to change the back brake as the original was 4" and the new Hub and sprocket is 4 1/2". LIL Indian had those for their Choppers. The hardest part was the extra long brake cable. Had to get those shipped in From Vegas. I have not launched it on it's maiden voyage yet but will be soon. With what we used and the gearing should run 55 to 60 MPH no problem and in a hurry. Motor should grab at 3200 and twist to 8000. All day. I CAN'T WAIT. This will be my cruiser for all next year also. If it is a little warmer next weekend I will take it to the Thunderdrome next Saturday or Sunday. Here are some shots.

Attachments

As a half purist...I am shaking my head:freakout:. But the other half of me that would mod anything with a motor really thinks it looks cool as heck now.:thumbsup:. And hopefully we can squeeze one more weekend out of the track.

Mean Dean

Thanks Guy's. I was an absolutely old school purist since buying my first Ruttman in 1965 new right off the tri pod rack off their show room floor. I was a predator,honda engine hater. Not really just loved my all original Survivor stuff. Well I was going to leave this one all alone and just drive it. Engine ran good but the primary drive torque converter was shot . It is an old odd part. 5/8ths belt etc. Well the old Tecumseh 3 h.p. was not going to push this bike past 20 MPH. HMMM. With having one of the best clone or Honda engine builders in my building seeing all the good and bad ass work he does. Now I have a few nos Tecumseh and Briggs engines to get it where I wanted I would have to put a 10 H.P. big block. A lot of weight. I wanted to keep it all American kind of with a new lauson OHV with some tweaks. Aw hell go for it with a good street built 14 H.P. Lifan , Original 6x4" Astro's off a Ruttman now we have a good cruiser for me and the girlfriend should cruise around 60 MPH all day without all the weight and bulkiness of a big block. I guess I stepped out of the box. You can teach an old dog new tricks!

Its very cool looking and sounds like a nice engine but that thing seems like the perfect bike for dual engines. Jmo. It looks like a lot of fun.