The Last Holdout...

I think I'm the only guy here who's never bought a clone engine...

Every time I see that HF coupon for $99 clones, I take that money and go out looking for a good used Briggs 5hp flathead...

There are some pretty pristine flatties out there available for a c-note...

...and some good deals on performance parts for them too.

Best deal?...vintage engines, or imported engines...your opinion?
I don`t own a clone. I own 2 Tecs HS30 & HS 40 and have a 5 horse Briggs on the way but no clone

I understand the logic behind all you vets not wanting anything but a tec or a briggs, and the whole "I'm not gonna give my money to :chinese:. But hell, $99 for a new engine, why not? Pride is great, and I have tons of American and TEXAN pride, but for the fun and the budget, they are a great alternative for cheap torque and speed. And the aftermarket support is all over the damn place if you want to upgrade for more power. If you have the money to shell out for a pristine Tec that will match the power, go for it. And reliable....I've never owned one that wouldn't start unless it was user error. My $0.02. I respect everyone's opinion on their engine preference, but I'll put money that not everyone will respect mine, endorsing a Chinese engine.

Hell I have a Briggs and 3 Tecumesh's in my garage that are reserved especially for my vintage bikes, but the clones are always welcomed for my one off bikes.

Ratbike

I understand the logic behind all you vets not wanting anything but a tec or a briggs, and the whole "I'm not gonna give my money to :chinese:. But hell, $99 for a new engine, why not? Pride is great, and I have tons of American and TEXAN pride, but for the fun and the budget, they are a great alternative for cheap torque and speed. And the aftermarket support is all over the damn place if you want to upgrade for more power. If you have the money to shell out for a pristine Tec that will match the power, go for it. And reliable....I've never owned one that wouldn't start unless it was user error. My $0.02. I respect everyone's opinion on their engine preference, but I'll put money that not everyone will respect mine, endorsing a Chinese engine.

Hell I have a Briggs and 3 Tecumesh's in my garage that are reserved especially for my vintage bikes, but the clones are always welcomed for my one off bikes.

I love those Murrays! Never had one but I will.. Did you have to cut the mounting plate for the chain or was it that way?:thumbsup:

I think I'm the only guy here who's never bought a clone engine...

Every time I see that HF coupon for $99 clones, I take that money and go out looking for a good used Briggs 5hp flathead...

There are some pretty pristine flatties out there available for a c-note...

...and some good deals on performance parts for them too.

Best deal?...vintage engines, or imported engines...your opinion?

I'll NEVER buy a clone... I'm with you.. I'll spend my 100 bucks for 13 more old beat up Briggs flattys at the junkyard ANY day.. :scooter:

Neck

Growing up is optional
OK

To all you die hard Flat head fans. First: are you opposed to all push rod valve in head engines, or just the Clone/Honda engines? second: why?

oops! sorry yellowhand, new to this forum stuff.:doah::doah:
HEY!!! CHECK YOUR Private Messages.. :bowdown: It's fine.. :laugh: I ramble worse than anyone.. :laugh:

Neck...

Honda makes great motors.. :shrug: I would not go spend GOOD MONEY on a clone because they AREN'T Hondas.. They are a copyright infringement looking to cut the worlds throat (for the most part lets not argue ) It's the principle of the matter on THAT part for me...

Then theres the (Old Shcool Look) to the flatheads that is lost in the newer engines... :shrug: SO there is that...

BUT yes you also hit a nerve there with the pushrods.. :thumbsup: I have seen even BRIGGS engines with push rods thrown because they came out of adjustment or too far or over wound... I've seen heads break so you CAN'T hold your rockers in, I've seen engines get hot and the valve guide slide out and cool back down sticking out, then the NEXT start everything goes to hell when parts no longer fit right...

A small engine should be small.. and SIMPLE..,.thats what they are.. :shrug:

Too many moving parts and, too idiot proofed, not enough class.. :lol:

If I ever find a GOOD Honda at the junkyard I'd save it.. There is a GC down there now but it's a GC.. The OHV's are usually water pumps in bad shape and stuff so I just rob the head and the rest is dead.. :laugh:

When I find a clone I run it over it myself.. :glare:

Ratbike

:thumbsup:
IMHO....It depends totally on why you do minibikes....To restore original vintage to specs, make some money on the side, for fun on a particular project you came across, to race.... Unfortunately the clones are so easy and cheap they are hard to resist as Oldsalt mentioned. As for my opinion it depends on what you are working on...If I come across an old rust bucket( of which there are alot of in IA.) and I can make a little money on it, it will be Clone all the way.. Vintage, like this Bronc, then all original( this is one I restored with a friend of mine over the summer he's a car guy and I talked him to buying this with another junk bronc down in KC while he was on vacation) WOULDN'T EVEN THINK OF A CLONE IN THIS INSTANCE!!! The other "junk"one I used in my "Rattin' this one out" project. Thus a Clone:shrug:personally I'm not a resto guy but I don't look for resto projects either..so I am...95% CLONE.
:shrug::thumbsup:

oldsledz

I have bought 2 clones both went on newer bikes, it will be flat heads only for my vintage bikes, I like to keep them some what close to original.

I have used a Honda motor on a vintage bike before , But I built the bike for a customer, that was for his 10 yr/old son. He wanted something care free and easy to start for a kid. So we decided to go Honda

I am the biggest Flathead fan there is , but lets be honest, the Tecumsehs can run fine one day and give ya fits the next :thumbsup:. I dont mind because thats what I like and I dont mind messing with them. But I have also had to push a Super Bronc a mile and a half home out of the woods, and it wasn't fun :censure:. I would have killed for a clone that day :laugh: If its a rider for a kid I say clone it :hammer: If its a vintage resto, then hell no. I really dont care for the Tec OHV or Briggs motors either. Flatties forever :thumbsup:

I will stick them on a DB30 all day long though . China motor --China bike ....Who Cares ?

dont have any clones yet ... if the neighbors pump give him grief again ill have one:pimp: .
they dont seem like bad motors for what they are . i have lots of briggs and only 1 tec . if i was buying a new motor for something i dont care , if it fits and runs, good enough for me . wouldnt hack up a good mini to put one in but if it fits ill bolt it in . they all have there place