The Last Holdout...

I think I'm the only guy here who's never bought a clone engine...

Every time I see that HF coupon for $99 clones, I take that money and go out looking for a good used Briggs 5hp flathead...

There are some pretty pristine flatties out there available for a c-note...

...and some good deals on performance parts for them too.

Best deal?...vintage engines, or imported engines...your opinion?

Oldsalt

You are not alone YH, there are at least two of us old dinosaurs around. I've never purchased a clone ether. Not only nice 5 HP Briggs for a C-note [usually much less around here], but also an occasional nice Tec for short money.

Your question was which is the best DEAL. There can be no doubt when the issue is put in those terms. The nice Briggs/Tec will be worth more with time. The used, but pristine, clone will be worth less. The clone value can't rise as long as new ones are being produced for a hundred bucks. You know better than I that pristine Tecs are getting hard to find. Down the road they will be getting the kind of dollars currently being asked for Mac engines [A grand won't get a good one]. Have been unable to find a decent Ohlson-Rice [for a Tom Thumb] for less than $450!

I have a brand new DB30 that was given to me for some work on a vintage mini. It just sits there looking at me every time I go down stairs. I keep thinking it would be cool to install a $100 clone and make a hell of a nice rider. A hard to beat combination for a rider and easy to do. But a late model Briggs Flattie or Intek would probably be a better choice and I have them on hand.

Last edited:
I'll take that HF $99 coupon....post it up.

If I owned a classic mini I'd want a classic Brigs for it, what I have are todays DB's so why try to be a poser. BTW, this is coming from a 63 year old.
The new style DB would look silly with a flathead IMO but the old style works just fine, the frame looks vintage enough so the briggs looks right at home. I have two cloned DBs and enjoy them, the clone looks good in them too but will be clapped out after a few years without question. The 5hp in the red DB I posted is a nearly 20yrs old, the 3hp in my daughter's is 35yrs old. I seriously doubt anyone will have a great running clone that old in 20yrs, just not that well made!:thumbsup:

Cant argue with that logic, the ohv engines do make great power. I prefer the briggs ohv engines however. I got my 5.5 ohv briggs oil leak fixed and will soon return it to the blue DB, it took me to 49mph with the 66tooth sprocket. It's ungoverned though and I'm pushing the limits I'm sure, a great little powerplant! :thumbsup:

Yes! vintage minibikes dont look good with a new clone, even a real honda motor, i really dont like the look of the briggs over head valve motors othe the tecumseh OHV motors. A purist would say a flate head is the way to go when restoring a bike, but if you wanna go fast and cheap a clone is a good start. dont get me wrong i dont hate clone motors i have used them but not on a restored bike.

I only own one. It is on my sons Boonie. I put it on there for the reliability of it. He can start it easy, and it always runs for him. When he gets older I will take it off and stick a big Tec back on it. But yes it is fast as hell too.:thumbsup:

Well, I do have one clone, and it was something I purchased when I first got back into minibikes and was ready to move beyond the one I had (it had a 3.5HP briggs, thing ran like a 5HP, tough little guy). I have done a mild build on the clone, and when it is running I like it (still need to tune that carb well). However, I don't really have any plans to buy another, it's nice and all, and when it comes to modding an engine it is easy to learn on. I am with everyone else though that as I get more into the minis I do prefer a f-head engine. I really do like tecs. However, if given a choice to have today between a built clone and a built briggs, I know I would love to have a built briggs way more. I just need a nice 5HP engine to start off the build. I have a nice 5hp tec I would trade for a nice 5HP briggs if someone were interested.

Last edited:

delray

YellowHand i don't think you are really missing out on anything when it comes to honda/clone engines. first your not the type that wants his minibike to go 40-50+mph and two is very mechanical incline. so getting a flathead running is a piece of cake and his probable a guy like me and 100's of other guys too that just like the look and sound of getting old flathead running and riding it.:thumbsup:

Ratbike

IMHO....It depends totally on why you do minibikes....To restore original vintage to specs, make some money on the side, for fun on a particular project you came across, to race.... Unfortunately the clones are so easy and cheap they are hard to resist as Oldsalt mentioned. As for my opinion it depends on what you are working on...If I come across an old rust bucket( of which there are alot of in IA.) and I can make a little money on it, it will be Clone all the way.. Vintage, like this Bronc, then all original( this is one I restored with a friend of mine over the summer he's a car guy and I talked him to buying this with another junk bronc down in KC while he was on vacation) WOULDN'T EVEN THINK OF A CLONE IN THIS INSTANCE!!! The other "junk"one I used in my "Rattin' this one out" project. Thus a Clone:shrug:personally I'm not a resto guy but I don't look for resto projects either..so I am...95% CLONE.

Last edited:

jeep4me

No clones in my garage.....I had one moment when I thought about getting a clone, then I woke up ...... it scared the :censure: out of me!