The "Silver Paint " Tecumseh Question

I was thinking the other night I've never seen a silver painted Tecumseh with a tank attached to it....they're alway on a remote tank bike like this MTD...RUPP Roadster, etc...always an H35 or HS40...always have the mini bike style throttle, aluminum flywheel, curved top shroud....

I know I've never seen a silver tank, plastic or painted steel....

Riddle me this Batman....Has anybody ever seen an exception to this.....a silver Tecumseh with it's own tank....was the tank silver....black...white??

Last edited:
Gerry, my Dad has an original Powerdyne Tec silver with a tank but I have to check the color. Actually he has two! I'll report back tomorrow.

delray

gerry i have never seen a silver tecumseh engine with the crossflags on it and a tank mounted on it.......:shrug: i like to see one if there is one? my guess is the silver motors with crossflags where built only for minibikes and maybe some gokarts without tanks.

Gerry,

My first mini bike was a brand new Powerdyne Galaxie 150. It came with a silver 3.5 Tec with tank mounted to the engine. The tank was black plastic with the red plastic cap.

Definitely stock. Just the way it was shipped from Pawtucket, RI to the department store where we purchased it. My dad and I rolled it off the showroom floor and loaded it into our station wagon.

Sorry no pics.......but VERY clear memory of it !

Red frame - Rubber-covered, flip-up footpegs (with no return springs) - Chrome handlebar/fork assembly (with external springs) - Chrome fenders (with black vinyl stripe) - Black Mesinger seat (with white "passenger strap") - Rear disc brake (sprocket acted as brake disc) - alloy wheels.

gerry i have never seen a silver tecumseh engine with the crossflags on it and a tank mounted on it.......:shrug: i like to see one if there is one? my guess is the silver motors with crossflags where built only for minibikes and maybe some gokarts without tanks.
good point.....I'm thinking you're right about that...it looks like there were some silver :baloon decal" motors though....

Gerry,

My first mini bike was a brand new Powerdyne Galaxie 150. It came with a silver 3.5 Tec with tank mounted to the engine. The tank was black plastic with the red plastic cap.

Definitely stock. Just the way it was shipped from Pawtucket, RI to the department store where we purchased it. My dad and I rolled it off the showroom floor and loaded it into our station wagon.

Sorry no pics.......but VERY clear memory of it !

Red frame - Rubber-covered, flip-up footpegs (with no return springs) - Chrome handlebar/fork assembly (with external springs) - Chrome fenders (with black vinyl stripe) - Black Mesinger seat (with white "passenger strap") - Rear disc brake (sprocket acted as brake disc) - alloy wheels.
It's amazing how the memories of that first mini bike stay with us forever...sounds like a cool bike. I wanted G-Bones to ride over and see if the Powerdyne building still stands over in Pawtucket.....

I'll add Powerdyne to the list, thanks!

I have to look through some pics, I think I've seen a silver motor with a tank mounted to it on something other than a Powerdyne or a ST-100:detective:

markus

I faked it on one build and did the motor in silver with a black tank, at the time I had never noticed an "original" like that either KK, I feel better about doing it now :laugh:

Heres another sort of simalar question, I'm getting ready to detail out My huffy bike, Pretty sure its original. White motor, has a taylor style mini bike muff on it, would it have been painted white or was it put on afterwards, and if so what color was it before all the paint burned off:shrug:

I have never seen that style of Taylor muffler painted....only plain steel or chrome....:shrug:

all I know is I love that Huffy Hustler...:drool:

delray

little off the question,but something you don't see everday. a side mount steel tank(black) with crossflags.......:shrug: gokart engine.....

KK, just talked to Dad on the phone. He has two silver balloon decal engines with black tanks and red fuel caps. I'll take some pics when I drop off his new ride tomorrow. If one is a leap year engine does he win the bonus round??

Both from Powerdyne bikes btw...