Tips on starting

Apparently I was leaking a ton of air around the valves, pulled engine apart to inspect happened to check head over wasn't sealing for s__t. Lapped the valves with compounding a drill. Now pain in the ass to start. Kicked back killing my arm. Then broke rope 3 times. Finally swapped an end on the rope like a snowmobile and literally just broke it. Had it running ,rode it a bit but dam it's hard to start. Any advice?

Bout the only way to fire it is to pull it just past or just at compression stroke then give a short yank. Otherwise rope breaks or pulls out of my hand if that makes sense?

Idk why people would talk shit to someone they don't know, or about an engine or situation they aren't in.

That being said it's a 14cc big valve head on a zero decked flat top Hemi bottom. According to ec website close if not more than 12 to 1. When pulled it apart was looking over with flashlight and noticed shit ton of light looking in both ports. Now after lapping w compound (no light passing thru) its a son of a bitch to start. Unless by coincidence the cr failed.

And just for some background. Been building cars for 30 years as a hobby. Have built dozens of motors over the years.

Had an evo once with a similar issue….could only push start couldn’t kick and no starter would turn it fast enough….installed a manual compression release took care of the issue

guess next day off I'll pull cover and inspect cr. I literally looked it over and sprung it and installed cam. Looked fine though. And all was good before disassembled. Only pulled apart to check rod torque and install head studs.

Have a theory, the bike has 87 octane gas in it as that's what I had when I originally swapped the head and it didn't seem to mind. But now that valves are sealing and compression is building its pre ignighting and causing severe kickback. Thoughts? Going to pick up some 108octane and see if makes any difference.

I always run the 90 non ethanol gas…in motorcycles I ran cam2 or blue thunder every other tank…the Panhead loved cam2…I don’t run 87 in anything….

and I’m not a top notch mechanic as most are on here…and ill
Probably look like an idiot, but wouldn’t pre ignition have to do with timing and not octane?

well I just read up on pre ignition…guess I am dumb…

Last edited:
I always run the 90 non ethanol gas…in motorcycles I ran cam2 or blue thunder every other tank…the Panhead loved cam2…I don’t run 87 in anything….

and I’m not a top notch mechanic as most are on here…and ill
Probably look like an idiot, but wouldn’t pre ignition have to do with timing and not octane?

well I just read up on pre ignition…guess I am dumb…

As I understand it,(I'm sure someone else could explain it better) but octane rating is a measure of how much heat and compression a fuel can take before self igniting. So with 87 it could be trying to ignite way before TDC pushing the piston back down causing the rope to be ripped out of my hand or break. Just a theory?