Torque Converter or Centrifugal Clutch?

I'm buying my first Mini Bike tomorrow. It's a Baja doodle bug frame and I'm going the typical route of mounting a 6.5hp honda clone on it. It will be used as a trail rider and just for having some fun off road.

I have a lot of experience with go karts and engines in general however mini bikes are new to me. I can't seem to decide on what type of clutch to use. I currently have an 8hp off road go kart with a Comet 30 series torque converter. I love the smooth acceleration and torque that is created with this set-up.

The reason I am debating between the two is
1. Torque converter is expensive escpecially when shipping alone is $64 to Ontario

2. I am unsure on how a centrifugal clutch performs on a mini bike. I have never driven a mini bike and considering they are much lighter than a go kart I would think that a centrifugal clutch would work well.

If anyone could give me some insight on how each of these clutches perform on a mini bike that would be fantastic.

I'm buying my first Mini Bike tomorrow. It's a Baja doodle bug frame and I'm going the typical route of mounting a 6.5hp honda clone on it. It will be used as a trail rider and just for having some fun off road.

I have a lot of experience with go karts and engines in general however mini bikes are new to me. I can't seem to decide on what type of clutch to use. I currently have an 8hp off road go kart with a Comet 30 series torque converter. I love the smooth acceleration and torque that is created with this set-up.

1. Torque converter is expensive escpecially when shipping alone is $64 to Ontario

2. I am unsure on how a centrifugal clutch performs on a mini bike. I have never driven a mini bike and considering they are much lighter than a go kart I would think that a centrifugal clutch would work well.

If anyone could give me some insight on how each of these clutches perform on a mini bike that would be fantastic.
Clutch gets my vote. It's cheap and works, what else do you want?

buckeye

TAV will make ya smile. Almost no comparrison.

But, price of the clutches is right. I have both on different bikes and by far the TAV is much more fun.:thumbsup:

Did you shop at Princess Auto for a TAV-2?
They sell them too....

Torq-A-Verter Kit | Princess Auto

They are sitting on the shelf in Sudbury.

If you were only riding it on a flat surface with no hills I would say TRY a clutch. But if you are doing ANYTHING else I would say a TAV. Period. End of story... just my opinion.

Thanks for the replies guys! It really helps to have a second opinion.
I bought the TAV2 from BMI karts this was before princess auto began stocking the torque converters.

I may just take the torque converter off my go kart and stick it on the mini bike and try it out. Then compare it to a centrifugal clutch. I noticed a couple threads where people were saying that there mini bikes wheelie a lot to the point where it is annoying. Will this happen with a torque converter?

with a clone engine and the right gearing a clutch will be fine. with the right setup a clutch can be better than a tc . but sounds like a good plan to compare the two on the same bike

with a clone engine and the right gearing a clutch will be fine. with the right setup a clutch can be better than a tc . but sounds like a good plan to compare the two on the same bike
That's what I was thinking. Thanks for your input!

Does a 12 tooth clutch and 60 tooth sprocket sounds like a good setup? (5:1) or would 6:1 be better for off road?

JoshM

I had a 12T/60T on my last DB. I'm 250# and I lost very little acceleration vs the 12T/72T. The top speed more than made up for the small change in accel. Hill climbing slowed quite a bit, but it wasn't like riding a little 50cc scooter.

Thanks for the input. Well I'll mess around with gear ratios and stuff when the time comes. For starters I will go with the centrifugal clutch and if I'm not satisfied then I will switch. Have any of you guys had any problems with the #35 chain snapping or stretching? I'm not sure if I should use #41 or not

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

If you have a good #35 chain it will last a while.

Never tried a centrifugal on my bikes, except the stocker on the DBs. All mine have TAVs. They only wheelie when you want them to.

One other note, you can't just bolt a clone and TAV on a DB. The motor has to be raised or the framerail moved....

Try the clutch and go from there. 12/60 would be fine for level ground and most riding. If riding in the woods/hills, put the 72 on the back. Mine has a 66 split on the back.

Another option is a clutch with a jackshaft. Get a couple different gears to play with. It shortens the chain, no tensioner, easy gear changes. I can gear up to go fast or gear down to climb or trial ride.

If installing a TAV, the chain from the tav to rear sprocket, are they compatible? The DB runs a 35 chain, and the TAV I installed on my warrior used a 40, would the sprocket have to be changed?

you can get a tav for a #35 chain. I would switch to #41 if thats just as easy for you. It stays on better and last longer I think. 6:1 ratio seems to work best for trail riding. My rupp with 6:1 and a 12" tire climbs hills like crazy with a mild 5hp briggs but you have to keep it movin so you dont start slippin the clutch. if you want to ride around and climb obsticles at slow speeds the tav is better.

Thanks for all the input guys. The guy I bought the mini bike from has a 30 series torque converter that he will sell me for 75$ and its nearly brand new. That is a price I cannot pass up

jump on that. Great deal.

BTW, one of the best things I did to my DB was stretch the frame. I only went 4", but that was enough to make it more stable, more leg room, and made it easier to mount the TAV. Only wheelies when I want to now.

Yeah that's a good idea, do you just cut the frame and then add some extra tubing and weld it back together?

Thanks for the input. Well I'll mess around with gear ratios and stuff when the time comes. For starters I will go with the centrifugal clutch and if I'm not satisfied then I will switch. Have any of you guys had any problems with the #35 chain snapping or stretching? I'm not sure if I should use #41 or not

Use 41 sprockets and 420 chain .
Quality 35 chain works just fine for most people.

You can check with Buckeye, he has more experience than anyone on this matter. He rode my bike at Windber and several others also, I would consider him to be an expert on this subject.