Tote gote drive train

desert rat

Take the gears out of pic #5 and the small pulley They don't belong in that pic. Clean the rest. Then post two pics of the parts with a number under each one of the parts , flip them for pic #2 I should as a mechanic be able to figure it out for you... Let's see how good I am. I have to make a run .Back in an hour.

Last edited:
Does the #8 centrifugal spring go inside the #7 centrifugal governor pieces or outside of them the grove seems the same on either side of the centrifugal governor. I’m assuming on the outside but I’m still drawing a blank on how once all assembled the clutch will tighten on the belt. Sorry for dumb questions.

desert rat

6 goes around the out side of 5 ,it looks ok. But now 8 has had a bad day, it will still work but should be replaced. You are on your way. Lets see it we can find one for you. Thank you for numbering the parts it makes life so much easier.

I’m thinking I still need to replace #4 the neutral spring. Any ideas on where to find one of them. Thanks again for the help and guidance with these bikes. I’m really liking the way everything goes together.

I’ve finally managed to find a good engine a Briggs 5hp that fits in the bike and can run a remote fuel tank but now I’m wondering about more detailed pictures of the transmission on the brake side and also is there an adapter plate between the engine and the mounting plate that’s on the bike? The current pics that Richard posted are great but I can’t quite see the details I need. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Thanks for the diagram Richard. I forgot to clarify that the bike I need the pictures for is the Sherpa. It’s the one I’ve decided to tackle first. Thanks again though for the prompt reply.

Those pictures are great!! Thankyou. The disc brake is a really cool setup but mine is the drum. I can definitely see how to set the cable up to the drum now and also how to anchor the backing plate. You must have some pretty cool machines from the pictures and all your knowledge. Thankyou Richard!!

I just realized that on the Sherpa the engine sits in the bike flipped around with the drive clutch actually pushing the driven clutch via the belt. Is this correct and if so does anyone have close ups of this setup? It seems like it wouldn’t be very functional so maybe I’m not doing something correct.