Turkey preference?

Smoked, baked, fried, raw.....How do you like your turkey?

Stuffed? Brined?

We've tried a bunch of different methods. Our tradition is to brine him in a bucket in the refrigerator, dry him off and I carry him out to the smoker in the detached garage. I smoke turkey with cherry wood.
With the bird out in the garage, Wifey can make other yummy stuff in the oven. Turkey cooks better with an empty cavity.
Happy Thanksgiving!

DTOM

Brined. I got a Char Broil Big Easy oilless fryer a couple of years ago and cook it in that now. It does great, really crispy and easier cleanup than deep fried. It works great for prime rib, lamb racks, chicken, etc. I'm very happy with it. My wife and daughter will make the trimmings.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Brined. I got a Char Broil Big Easy oilless fryer a couple of years ago and cook it in that now. It does great, really crispy and easier cleanup than deep fried. It works great for prime rib, lamb racks, chicken, etc. I'm very happy with it. My wife and daughter will make the trimmings.

Happy Thanksgiving.
I bought one of those Big Easy cookers and it works great! Messing with the oil is a PITA.
I haven't cooked anything else in it, i need to try some other meats.
This year i was going to sous vide the whole bird, but it takes like 24hrs so i just sous vided the breast, and will dry brine and roast the legs. Roasted the carcass and wings and giblets to make turkey stock for gravy.

A little late to the party but definitely brined. Not just any brine either. We brine ours in a cranberry concoction. Been doing it for years. The come out with the cranberry colored tint to the meat. 5 or 6 hours on the smoker depending on the size of the bird and its amazing. Took the smoker to a friend's years ago for a little gathering and smoked 1 turkey. Some other guys were there and they fried 2 turkeys. One of the fried turkeys came out not fully cooked. We finished it on the smoker and that thing was amazing.

My smoker is an electric Masterbuilt. I started with one of those charchoal R2D2 things, What a mess.
Then a tall, propane powered inconsistent, inconvenient unsafe piece of garbage. The electric one maintains perfect temperature, doesn't use mucc wood and cooks very good food. It produces about a dozen racks of ribs, 50 salmon filets 5 turkeys and countless pork loin roasts every year. It is our oven all summer because it is out back in the garage and won't heat up the house. I had a cranberry brine recipe but I can't find it.
Will you share yours?

I have a copy of a Stumps gravity feed cooker that I built almost 20 years ago. Its fully insulated with 2 inches of rockwool insulation. It will run at 225 for about 15 hours on 1 20 pound bag of charcoal. I put a little lit charcoal down the shoot then add a couple of fist sized chunks of Hickory. A little unlit charcoal, a piece of wood, a little charcoal, a piece of wood and so on until the charcoal shoot is full. Set up my BBQ Guru and it's a done deal until it runs out of charcoal. It's a big beast.

THE XL STRETCH – Stumps Smokers

I have a 76.5 inch long piece of 24 inch pipe with 1/2 inch wall that is my next smoker project. Plane to build a horizontal offset patterned after a Jambo Backyard smoker. Mine will have a single door with a counter weight. I don't like 2 doors on a 48 inch long pit. You loose more space/versatility than you realize with the center divider. On a bigger pit say 6 or 7 feet 2 doors are a must.

BACKYARD MODEL | jambopits (thecloak9.wixsite.com)

I will have to ask the wife where the brine recipe is. I don't even know what's in it. Shes in charge of keeping up with all of that...

This year's Turkey ready for the fridge. Thats a 16 pounder if I remember.

1703150501270.jpeg