universal small engine generator

ur right u can see the waterjacket in the pics, but how are you susposed to start it? whats the belt pulley for?

Get a piece of rope, and a 4'' piece of dowel.

There's your starter cord, and the dowel is your handle. Should be pretty darn easy to figure out from here. :wink:

Word of kind advice, even though they're low compression engines, you might want to roll it just past TDC before you yank on it. I have a few rope start engines, and they can be cranky when they want to be.

I am not familair with this unit at all....

But, based on the age and consgtruction I would say its something like a WW2 APU used for radio sets and charging aplications.

Up here in Canada we made a lot of Iron horse powered sets, I mean a lot of them....
It no suprise to me at all there are other better designs out there for the same thing
These look basicly the same only air cooled a bit smaller.
They used the DC generator as a self starter so the reason behind you pull rope is more as a back up rather than primary starting source.

This little fellow would be a lot more use to me as an APU then an iron horse...
Its all cast so it going to have a lot of life in it.
Water cooled engines last longer too!

The Ebay link shows me the generator construction and it looks like typical DC machine with no electronics to go wrong.

I like the idea of water cooled for a reason.
I live in a cold country and its a real problem cold starting a frozen up diesel stand by set.
But this little APU could do a lot of useful things.
Provide some power for lights and warming up diesel set through a cross connected cooling system.

Being a water cooled flat head means its also not fussy about old fuel and would probably quite happily run ON diesel if it was warmed up ( and the fuel in a cooling system loop )