Upgrading MM E -1000 electric bikes to Lithium ion batteries.

Hey guys I'm new here. I'm going to be picking up in next few days a moto 1000. It already has a front suspension fork. I have plans for brushless motor upgrade. I have experience with a 1000w super scooter brushless conversion. I was curious I read this thread couple times now and seems like the old 36v 1000w motor has the same size mounting plate as the brushless motor does? My scooter conversion used the mounting holes on the end of the motor. So I was curious if you had to make an adapter mounting plate for the new motor?

I74

Welcome ! :)

Mounting on the ''stock'' MY- 1020 brushed motor, is the same size as the 1020 & 1109 brushless ones.

Housing O.D. on the 1109, is just a smidge bigger.

I

Mounting on the ''stock'' MY- 1020 brushed motor, is the same size as the 1020 & 1109 brushless ones.

I
Thanks for answering that for m

I
Ok thanks for the reply, another thing I noticed most of the brushless motors comes with a t8f motor gear, do you take the sprocket of the brushed motor and install it on the brushless? So they have same bore and shaft shape? It's hard to find #35 motor sprockets.

Thanks for answering that for m

Ok thanks for the reply, another thing I noticed most of the brushless motors comes with a t8f motor gear, do you take the sprocket of the brushed motor and install it on the brushless? So they have same bore and shaft shape? It's hard to find #35 motor sprockets.
Also did you ever try overvolting the stock motor to 48v?

I74

The stock gear on the brushed motor is a 10t #35.
It will go right on those brushless ones also,, just make sure you install the sprocket the same direction, & also use ''red'' Loctite.

I never overvolted the stock 36v brushed motor,, just the 36v brushless one to 48v.
As I' am sure you read,, that 12 fet controller on it is pretty much a self learning 36 ''or'' 48v 1000w one.

I wouldn't even mess around with that stock brushed motor,, just get a matched brushless motor & controller combo & be done with it. ;)

The brushless 1020 motor is also lighter than the stock 1020 brushed one,, even the brushless 1109 is lighter than the 1020 brushed one.

I

The stock gear on the brushed motor is a 10t #35.
It will go right on those brushless ones also,, just make sure you install the sprocket the same direction, & also use ''red'' Loctite.

I never overvolted the stock 36v brushed motor,, just the 36v brushless one to 48v.
As I' am sure you read,, that 12 fet controller on it is pretty much a self learning 36 ''or'' 48v 1000w one.

I wouldn't even mess around with that stock brushed motor,, just get a matched brushless motor & controller combo & be done with it. ;)

The brushless 1020 motor is also lighter than the stock 1020 brushed one,, even the brushless 1109 is lighter than the 1020 brushed one.

I
Your right about going straight brushless! Will use the red loctite. Can I use the stock throttle with the brushless controller?

Yes, you can use the stock ''Hall effect'' throttle with it.
Ok thanks I just picked up the bike tonight. One thing I noticed is the steering angle is not very far on this bike. It makes you have to take super wide turns. Is this normal? Is there modification for this?

I74

Show us a couple of pics of the front end, with a close up of the lower tree, with it pointed straight & turned all the way.

The first 2 photos are full locked to the left and right and then we're it's hitting and stopping in third pic

Attachments

I74

Okee doakee ….

Looks like the front end was pretty much installed correct.

The stop angles with these type of front ends, should be right around ''55 deg''.

Speed square like in the pic., work pretty good.

If you don't have around those angles,, then just grind a bit off of each stop ear end.

They might of used bigger stop pin posts,, looks like they are in the right places though.

A couple of things a' lot of people over look when installing these type front ends though,, is the step procedure of what to tighten & set first.

You always want to tighten the neck bolt before tightening the lower tree bolts. ;)

If you don't,, you can bend back & put into a bind, the rear center of the lower tree in the area of where the neck bolt goes thru.

Also want to check the distances between the trees for ''even steven'',, where both the forks go thru,, before tightening the lower tree bolts.

I

Added,,
Think that front tire & wheel is on backwards.

Valve stems should be on the right side of the bike also.

100_6952.JPG

Last edited:
Okee doakee ….

Looks like the front end was pretty much installed correct.

The stop angles with these type of front ends, should be right around ''55 deg''.

Speed square like in the pic., work pretty good.

If you don't have around those angles,, then just grind a bit off of each stop ear end.

They might of used bigger stop pin posts,, looks like they are in the right places though.

A couple of things a' lot of people over look when installing these type front ends though,, is the step procedure of what to tighten & set first.

You always want to tighten the neck bolt before tightening the lower tree bolts. ;)

If you don't,, you can bend back & put into a bind, the rear center of the lower tree in the area of where the neck bolt goes thru.

Also want to check the distances between the trees for ''even steven'',, where both the forks go thru,, before tightening the lower tree bolts.

I

Added,,
Think that front tire & wheel is on backwards.

Valve stems should be on the right side of the bike also.

View attachment 287172
Thanks for all the help, yea I thought that was strange when I aired the tires up valve stems were on opposite sides. Definitely will flip the front wheel around. Also they recommend 10psi I'm 215lbs. Can I bump the pressure up up?

Thanks for all the help, yea I thought that was strange when I aired the tires up valve stems were on opposite sides. Definitely will flip the front wheel around. Also they recommend 10psi I'm 215lbs. Can I bump the pressure up up?
I also measured the mounting plate for motor at 4inx2in. And online alot of the 1800 and 2000w 48v motors says their mounting dimensions are 4in x 2.2in. I found one motor but it's a 60v 2000w boma that says it's 4x2in.

I74

The .2 doesn't mean diddly squat.
Slots have plenty of space anyways.

I' am around 215lbs. also,, & run all the mini's @ 10 psi.

Unless running that bike mostly off road,, you definitely want to change out those ''junk'' tires to the SunF - AO21's,, if you are going to mostly ride it on the street ect. ;)

lastly,,

I would just go with a 48v setup.

You get into 60+ v stuff,, it get's real expensive.

The .2 doesn't mean diddly squat.
Slots have plenty of space anyways.

I' am around 215lbs. also,, & run all the mini's @ 10 psi.

Unless running that bike mostly off road,, you definitely want to change out those ''junk'' tires to the SunF - AO21's,, if you are going to mostly ride it on the street ect. ;)

lastly,,

I would just go with a 48v setup.

You get into 60+ v stuff,, it get's real expensive.
Ok thanks, yea yesterday I quick soldered on XT90 connection and ran 2 of my 6s lipos in series at 52v on the stock motor. It woke it up for sure, but definitely not gonna be quick enough. For now I plan on just using my rc lipo batteries for the bike. A have quite a few 6 and 4 cell 8000mah lipos. I might as well use them. Run time will only be 40 min or maybe 5 miles. Do you recommend sticking with the stock rear sprocket? Also I noticed the chain guard is not very secure seems like it rubs chain a bit.

I74

Ok thanks, yea yesterday I quick soldered on XT90 connection and ran 2 of my 6s lipos in series at 52v on the stock motor. It woke it up for sure, but definitely not gonna be quick enough. For now I plan on just using my rc lipo batteries for the bike. A have quite a few 6 and 4 cell 8000mah lipos. I might as well use them. Run time will only be 40 min or maybe 5 miles. Do you recommend sticking with the stock rear sprocket? Also I noticed the chain guard is not very secure seems like it rubs chain a bit.
Am an R/C Guy myself, of many moons …..
Mostly planes & boats.

What do ''or'' did,, you run those Lipo's in for R/C ??

Like I told Vinny,, you do ''not'' want to use that stock 75t sprocket with a 48+v brushless set up.

It would pretty much want to be a wheelie machine every time you took off. o_O

Put a 65t back there,, & that would be plenty. ;)

Run time,, you are talking 40min. or 5 miles ??

I ''cruise'' over 10 miles in that time frame.

I

Last edited:

I74

Added,,

You run that 52v Lipo set up with the stock ''brushed'' 36v controller,, you are going to smoke that controller.

Am an R/C Guy myself, of many moons …..
Mostly planes & boats.

What do ''or'' did,, you run those Lipo's in for R/C ??

Like I told Vinny,, you do ''not'' want to use that stock 75t sprocket with a 48+v brushless set up.

It would pretty much want to be a wheelie machine every time you took off. o_O

Put a 65t back there,, & that would be plenty. ;)

Run time,, you are talking 40min. or 5 miles ??

I ''cruise'' over 10 miles in that time frame.

I
I run mainly cars 1/8 scale buggy and Truggy. I started out with Arrma 1/8 scales. Then I started going to my local rc dirt track and found out about race kits. So now I run Mugen Mbx8e. I have had a couple of really cheap planes before too. I thought I heard from thread about going to the 65t but then I thought you said you stuck with the stock sprocket. Is there a 65t sprocket that will bolt right up? I forgot to mention I installed a 48v 1000w brushed controller yesterday that I had in a old razor e300 scooter. I have pushed the 48v controller to 60v before, only for few miles ride and mostly flat ground driving. I usually get 5 or 6 Miles off my lipo batteries. But good thing about this bike is it has alot of battery space, I could put an extra set inside to swap out. I installed heavy-duty Velcro for the side battery plate for easy access.

I run mainly cars 1/8 scale buggy and Truggy. I started out with Arrma 1/8 scales. Then I started going to my local rc dirt track and found out about race kits. So now I run Mugen Mbx8e. I have had a couple of really cheap planes before too. I thought I heard from thread about going to the 65t but then I thought you said you stuck with the stock sprocket. Is there a 65t sprocket that will bolt right up? I forgot to mention I installed a 48v 1000w brushed controller yesterday that I had in a old razor e300 scooter. I have pushed the 48v controller to 60v before, only for few miles ride and mostly flat ground driving. I usually get 5 or 6 Miles off my lipo batteries. But good thing about this bike is it has alot of battery space, I could put an extra set inside to swap out. I installed heavy-duty Velcro for the side battery plate for easy access.
Also how many chain links need to be taken off with the 65t sprocket?

I looked up 65t sprocket #35chain on eBay there is the same one on there that looks like dimensions are really close to right size. They offer one with a new chain 116 link.